Stevian

Abisinthe Lemercier 45%

At last, I've had my first taste of Absinthe and I'm going to share the experience with you. You lucky devils :)

A few things I ask you to bear in mind; this is my first time; I've probably done everything wrong and I have no idea what I'm talking about. So please be kind to my mistakes.

I received a mignonette (3 cl.) of the Lemercier 45% as a free gift when I ordered an Absinthe spoon and glass from a local supplier Alexamo Pty Ltd. http://www.abisinthe.com.au/. I assume it is a decent brand because according to the brochure it won the Cuillere D'Argent at the 2003 Absinthiades, though for all that means to me it might as well be Best in Show at Krufts. But, on with the motley.

I measured out two parsimonious doses, as I wanted to compare with sugar and without. The colour was clear with perhaps the faintest tinge of yellowy green. The aroma was medicinal but not unpleasant. The louche was immediate and substantial. The taste was subtle (perhaps to much water), anise and something else lurking behind it (I confess to an uneducated, but I hope not eneducable, palate), not unpleasant but not interesting.

2nd dose, with sugar, no louche, don't know what I did wrong. Taste, more complex as if the sugar brought out the flavour. I don't know what I was tasting but I liked it. Definitely worth a return visit.

That night he green fairy visited me in my dreams, but that was most likely purely a result of my aberrant psychology

Hmm, yeah, not too sure about the 45. Both 72's I've had from Lemercier have been ok, but I truly couldn't imagine them with only 45%. The FG is 45% and simply didn't do it for me too much.

I think part of the fun is finding the right water ratio, too. For me, the FG is much better at 2.5 to 1. I prefer the CLB at 3 to 1. Every absinthe is a little different but too much water is simply too much. :cheers:

I will also post a review of the Lemercier Abisinthe 45 on FeeVerte and on my own site within the next few days. Can't really say I liked it.

Still, given the load of utter shite available I'd rather recommend this than Hill's to anyone. That said - I don't think it's worth the buy if there are other options.

Brooks - I can send you a generous sample. :)

Brooks - I can send you a generous sample. :)
The rest of you, take note: THIS is the meaning of friendship. Wow. I'm so moved I hardly know what to say.

The suspense is killing.

Stevian, you review is much appreciated, despite the mixed reception Lemercier gets on this forum! If and when you get around to trying any of the WS faves (such as the La Bleue Clandestine or the Edouard), I hope you'll chime in with more feedback.

Brooks, it will probably be some time before I work my way up to the Bleu Clandestine of Edouard. I see myself working my way up the league table, so to speak. Certainly something to look forward to, I should by them now and lay them down for a special occassion (My 50th birthday perhaps). At the moment of course it would be disrepectful to the absinthe with my unsopisticated palate and all.

I really don't see the need to "work your way up" to better absinthes, especially considering that for the most part, the best are the same price as the worst. Why not order a bottle of the CLB? You'd be doing yourself a favour and, trust me, you will be able to taste the difference.

I'm not sure what I think of "working your way up". After only having Czech swill, I finally spat the dummy and ordered a Jade. It was like running out of a sauna and into a cool swimming pool... if the sauna was full of goblins beating you with hammers and pouring acid down your throat.

What they said. I do believe that some kind of a learning curve can be a good idea, but you've been there, done that in the lower mid range department. Go for the top now.

Also, what is considered top notch now will probably be mid range in five years. In the absinthe world, there's still plenty of room for the makers to boldly go where noone has gone before.

Been there, done that, just the once.

Going straight for the best is all well and good, and no doubt works admiarbly for a lot of people. I'd like to be able to appreciate the Bleu and Edouard when I have them on many levels. Not just ..."Mmmm, nice"

After all I'm not talking about Czech swill here, I've been spared that indignity, but respected mid-range specimens so I can apreciate the nuances and subtlties before I subject myself to a blisskrieg.

I understand. I want as much information (without hurting myself) as I can get, too. Learning from the sages here has been very beneficial. To serve your desire to learn without leaping to the top of the chart, I would highly recommend Kübler 53 and

Elixir du Pays des Fées. Less expensive than CLB, I enjoy them both very much.

Also, what is considered top notch now will probably be mid range in five years. In the absinthe world, there's still plenty of room for the makers to boldly go where noone has gone before.

A great example of this would be the two Fougerolles absinthes.

They were top notch when they came out but have been passed by many newer and better products, I loved both at the time but can barely stand them now.

They are relatively affordable and would be a good buy for a mid-level tasting (the sample bottles more so). Then when you try better Stevian, you'll taste the progress that has been made.

Agreed.

UE and BdF were my first buys. I can remember how juiced I was over getting them and finally having my first taste of Absinthe.

I currently have a bottle of UE (new version) that I only drink at the end of a session, with sugar, and after I'm crunked. Even then it's barely palatable. My cash now only goes to my favs.

Life is too short to spend time or money on anything less than the best.

Waste it on crap and thats what your life ends up being.

End of Story.

In the absinthe world, there's still plenty of room for the makers to boldly go where noone has gone before.

or... where noone has gone in 100 years.

Well, yes ...

Stevian: Note that Markus has plenty of mini-bottles. Consider ordering some CLB or something from him and add a selection of mid-range stuff as well. Good way to arrange a little multiple brand tasting without ruining yourself on stuff you'll possibly outgrow anyway.

I would like to tender an apology for any offence caused by my recalcitrance, intractability and, I admit it, sheer bloody mindedness. Once an idea, however wrong headed, get lodged in my tiny mind it can take dynamite to shift it. I should listen to my betters. After all you've made all the mistakes so I don't have to. You've already saved me from myself several time. I shudder to recall that it wasn't that long ago I thought burning absinthe was a cool idea.

So, Sorry guys, lets have drink and kiss and make up.

No offense taken here.

Like you said. We just be trying to save you from yourself.

I have a closet full of shit I will never drink and nobody should ever have to suffer.

Just trying to save someone elses bank account.