I Like Ike!
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

[NOTE: The source for my three sample glasses was from a trade of absinthe aged at least one year, so it’s possible that time and/or exposure may have affected some of the results of my review when compared to other reviews.]

COLOR: This one had an appropriately green color for a verte. The peridot was a bit pale, but it didn’t edge into the yellow spectrum like some others.

AROMA: The nose was a pleasantly clean, with the scent of minty wormwood being most prominent. It would have been better if the aroma had been a little more expansive, as you had to be close to the glass to detect it.

LOUCHE: A potentially active, though delicate, louche. I achieved more energetic results with a thin stream of cold water than I did with a fountain drip - thin trails developed briefly into small roiling clouds with the stream, while some minor cascades barely registered on the drip.

FLAVOR: This Eichelberger has an excellent balance, with a pleasantly peppery bite when prepared with an appropriate amount of water. It may be interpreted as having too mild of a flavor to some, but I found it refreshing and more enjoyable than other “crisp” absinthes (such as Lucid, for example) as long as there wasn’t too much water.

FINISH: The mouthfeel is right in the sweet spot of the midrange (being neither too thick, nor too thin), and the faint taste of pepper (with a lemony trace) and mint lingers pleasantly for a long while.

OVERALL: I am impressed with the Eichelberger, and I think it would make a great everyday absinthe if only it were on the shelves here in the United States. It is easy to overwater this absinthe, which overpowers the best of what it has to offer, and for me I found 4:1 to be a good ratio of water to spirit. A ratio of 4.5: 1 is the very upper limit, and going beyond that is not recommended. If anything, I would recommend erring on the low end, and trying this one at 3.5:1. Given the reported propensity for bartenders in the U.S. to err on the side of too little water (or sliding you a glass that holds no more than 4 or 5 oz total), I believe it would do well in the bar scene, too.
J
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account