Thank the stars I only bought one bottle
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

I finally opened my bottle, so it had the benefit of a half year of aging. I was looking forward to being surprised, and surprised I was. As this has a lower abv, I went with less water.

Color: It's clear. What can I say. Good job?

Louche: Started almost instantly with the first drop. Pretty telling. Oddly, even with less water it eventually began to thin out. Not the best I've seen, but certainly not the worst.

Aroma: Huge strike here. Smelled ridiculously weird in the bottle. I thought perhaps the wax around he bottle top was throwing me off, so I poured it out neat and gave it a LONG smell test. Unpleasant is the best way to describe it. Quite possibly tails. Also, it had an odd aroma that reminded me of the oregano tea I prepare when I'm making chili. It's certainly not oregano, but that's what it reminded me of. Just very unpleasant for an absinthe. Could have very easily received a 1 rating from me based on the scoring criteria, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Flavor: Whereas the aroma was ridiculously weird, the flavor was just plain ridiculous. I literally laughed, almost spitting my drink out on my drinking companion. If I didn't know better, I would have thought it was a joke. It tasted bitter in the back of the throat and had the distinct flavor of black jelly beans. Absolutely nothing remarkable (in a good way) when I gave it a very long taste. And just to make sure, I struggled down TWO glasses back to back. I honestly wanted it to be better, and gave it much more of a chance than I've given other absinthes which have offended my senses. I can't say anything other than "unpleasant" again here, and this also could have been a 1 based on the scoring criteria.

Finish: Hung around way too long, a little oily and pretty numbing. The only reason I'm not giving this a 1 is because I have tasted worse.

Overall: Quite possibly my least favorite blanche to date. I reviewed St. Antoine last year and rated it down the middle, but after tasting the Edward III, I may go upwardly revise my review of St. Antoine because it's that much better than E3. It's quite good that there was so little E3 made, methinks. I'll probably give it another go in a year to see if more age helps it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account