Licorice and candy.
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Appearance: I'm not entirely sure how old the absinthe I'm drinking is, but it's a fairly bland-looking fuille morte topaz border on a dark olive...TOO dark.

Louche: Pretty milk and dense when louched...turning an unpleasing color of scrambled eggs that have been cooked too long. There are some orange reflections, but it's not luminous enough to turn the glass into an appealing shade.

Aroma: Smells a bit more like star anise than anything else, although there's some backing musky fennel and some floral elements, along with a candied citrus essence.

Flavor/Mouthfeel: Anise-heavy, but I like the candied orange and lemon peel flavors. All the flavors that the absinthe should have are definitely present, but they're not anywhere near being as balanced as I would wish.

Finish: Not a bad finish, slightly perfumed and more citrus, and it's fresh and clean, but my tongue feels a bit abused from the anise onslaught that was so dominant in the flavor.

Overall: I like this one the best of the Paul Devoille absinthes that I have tasted, but I feel like it still could use a little more work.
A
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 4

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account