(Updated: August 18, 2009)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color: The vivid green peridot color of Meadow Of Love is even brighter than that of it's close relative, Walton Waters, although there is a bit of haze. When louched, it retains very light greenish hues and never veers into yellow. As with my bottle of WW, this is a new bottle (I bought mine in mid-June, and the bottle is marked as batch 09-7, bottle 33). Since it is clear it may not retain the same color indefinitely without transfering it to a dark bottle.

Louche: The louche begins as soon as the water is added, and it slowly builds from cascades into clouds. Interestingly enough, the activity travels from the bottom to the top, with billowing clouds forming into a colored meniscus at the top well after the louche has all but finished on the bottom half of the glass. The entire process is enjoyable to watch.

Aroma: The initial aroma has a bite to it, with slight bitterness and a hint of sourness. While not as floral or
initially accessible to me as WW, I found that with each new glass (on different days) I became more acclimated to it, and may now appreciate it more thoroughly for what it offers.

Flavor: Meadow Of Love is everything I expected it to be -- a slightly bitter (and spicier) cousin to WW that is every bit as enjoyable, but in different way. The flavor is outstanding, and while I cannot yet determine all the herbs individually, I believe the distinct uniqueness it offers is probably a result of the violet other reviewers have mentioned.

Unlike the WW, I found the ideal balance for my tastes at 4.5:1 or even 5:1, where the bitterness and spice is tempered a bit. Those who enjoy the bitterness will likely find a 4:1 ratio to be most appealing. Sweetening is not absolutlely necessary, but half a teaspoon of agave nectar fills the flavor out quite nicely.

Finish: The mouthfeel is full, rich and creamy, with a lasting finish that edges out the WW just slightly here. The aftertaste is wonderful, with a medium amount of numbing to prickle your tongue with.

Overall: Meadow Of Love is an extraordinary offering from Delaware Phoenix, which has rapidly cornered the market on my favored absinthes. Admittedly, I have a ways to go in my absinthe taste tests, but it will be difficult to top these two. While I still prefer WW a bit, the high quality of Meadow Of Love is evident in every sip, and those of you with a bitter tooth will love it.
J
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment