Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

-Color-
Before Water: Vibrant light peridot. Very green, but I know this absinthe is a little young, so I hesitate to give it full points before I can see it aged a few more months.

After Water: Pleasing lime green, the final louche is a little on thick side, but with good depth and highlights.

-Louche-
Thick, layering trails that move of their own accord when the pour is paused. A nice swirling, yet very well defined fog bank forms at a good pace and slowly infiltrates the clear top layer, bouncing with every drop of water.

-Aroma-
Before Water: A bit of alcohol sharpness, sweet floral perfume, lightly herbaceous.

After Water: As water is added, the perfume issues forth. Not the most “room filling”, but definitely enticing from a couple feet away. The perfume I picked up neat develops into refreshing floral notes in the high range and at the bottom range is a nice herbaceous petite wormwood (pontica).

-Flavor-
Floral sweetness, soft anise, refined spice, and hints of citrus, with the pontica again contributing to a really great herbal flavor. Refined but deliciously bitter grand wormwood completes the excellent balance, and continues with us through the finish.

The mouthfeel is not as thick and creamy as found in the Pontarlier and other absinthe styles, but falls more into a nice, smooth satin (similar to the mouthfeel of Pacifique) with mild tongue numbing.

-Finish-
The delightful finish echoes the flavor and lets the tasty wormwood come through. It lingers in a way that is not “crisp” like in some absinthes, but is perfectly clean with an understated smooth dryness.

-Overall-
This is a wonderful, flowery (this is the 4th time I’ve mentioned a floral characteristic for good reason), feminine absinthe. This gal is soft, clean and wonderfully balanced, but she has plenty of flavor power. I think this absinthe can be equally appreciated by newcomers (possibly even the anise adverse) and experienced absintheurs. I happily welcome this fine example of liquid art into my top 10 favorites.

Notes: Tasted at aprox 3.5:1 and 4:1 with fountain drip and pitcher pour respectively, no sugar. Batch# 09-2, Bottle 10.
G
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment