(Updated: July 11, 2008)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color: nice green olive with an amber shade, a little too deep for a modern absinthe imo.

Louche: not opalescent but still nicely formed. But pay attention, you have to stop the water drip quickly, otherwise the louche is ruined (see 'Overall' below).

Aroma: Typical wormwood/green anise from the Emile Pernot distillery in Pontarlier. Then I smell a good fennel hidden behind spiciness. Overall pleasant and floral, Belle Amie strength.

Flavor: This is mainly where I'm disappointed, the flavor doesn't follow the great aroma. Ok it's good but quickly monotonous, a bit one-dimensional.

Finish: good but a little too biting, the coriander takes the podium here.

Overall: I would say "too well balanced", it's missing some punch, a true character, something that would make say "wow! let's have another one".

Also, if you're not tasting it at different louching steps (I've tried many), or if you're used to a higher ratio from your past 'vertes' experiences, then you're taking the risk of drinking an absinthe-perfumed water glass. Start tasting it at 3:1 or just before that, do not wait for the usual undiluted layer to disappear before drinking it!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment