(Updated: August 01, 2012)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

To start, I'm pretty bad with picking out specific flavors in any beverage I taste, but I'll do my best.

Prep: Ice cold fountain with an unnaturally slow drip. Hey, it's not every day I louche up a ~150 year old absinthe. No sugar of any type was added.

Appearance: Unlouched, it looks like an attractive scotch. A nice, pretty, feuille morte. No complaints.

Louche: Just a tad bit of water, and I already see a cloudy layer forming! Quickest louche I've yet seen. The final louche lacks some opalescence that I'd hoped to see, but still a strong, amber-colored louche.

Aroma: Ho boy. Very unique aroma coming out of this one. With an herbaceous baseline, the hints of medicinal iodine as well as a certain sweetness hit me. Quite interesting but not something that makes me want to magically turn the stuff into a candle and take it everywhere I go.

Flavor: It starts with a bit of butterscotch and then the herbs hit me. Wormwood and fennel. There's also some other herb playing around that I can't name. See? I told you I suck at this. While sipping this guy, there's something about it that made me put it down for a bit. I needed to take breaks from sipping it. Not sure why, I just suppose the flavor's appeal didn't last. There some absinthes that I need to constantly have near my face, but unfortunately, this isn't it. I also did note a tiny bit of a moldy flavor in there, but that may be just placebo effect. I really couldn't figure that out.

Finish: Oddly, a bit bitter. I didn't mind it, as it wasn't overwhelming. It had a bite to it, and I did feel the need to drink a bit of water after. It did also finish dry. By dry, I mean literally making my mouth dry (the effect didn't set in until about half way through the glass). I've never experienced that in an absinthe before, but I can recall quite a few cognacs and scotches that had a similar effect.

So yeah. It is nothing like a modern absinthe. It reminds me a bit of L'Ancienne mixed with a more traditional tasting absinthe (like MoL). This is by far the most interesting combination of flavor, aroma, and finish I've yet experienced in an absinthe.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 6 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account