(Updated: April 12, 2010)
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

He's not... So let's hope the Fée Verte does! Anyway, love this song, Mr Sandman. Long time since I didn't listen to it. It was this song, the cover from Blind Guardian, that made me love metal when I was a young teen. And we could say that all my teen years took a corrner when I heard that song. It's what it started that made me grow my hear, turn gothic, etc. Seems so long ago, while it isn't really. When I look at it now, considering I'm a rock fan and that this « teen spirit » that I « smelled » last summer when discovering the fairy was also me taking a corner in my adulthood. I suppose it's also the fairy inspiration that pushed me to think of it now, instead of my ordinary rocky lullaby. Yeah it's not my first glass this night... Anyway, the review :

Color
The color is a bit weak, quite clear. When you look at it quickly, it seems like minty/cold-green tone, but when looking more closely and through the light you can see a yellowish tint. Not flashy, but beautiful.

Louche
The louche is quite beautiful as far as my little experience can tell. At 2:1 the « tourment » is still there, with a beautiful layering of anise cloud, a line of wormwood green and a fresh water layer on top of it. After it though, the swift oil swirls quickly pale at a green-translucent white and settle at about 3:1.

Aroma
The pre-louched aroma is in my opinion the bad side of this absinthe. It smells alcohol, with maybe some mint far behind. While the alcohol smell is not cheap, it's not what we could hope from a topsinthe. Until 3:1. When fully louched, you can smell a mix of minty anise with some wormwood crisp. There's also something, a « je ne sais quoi », that could be linked to the fruit-base alcohol used. Maybe the color plays on my mind but I cannot tell something other than white grape. Also, lemon (or even grapefruit I could say) and a « cinamonny » undertone.

Flavor
Like the louched aroma, I would say minty anise with wormwood, a bit of lemon and cinammon. While the wormwood is good and crispy, the alcohol flavor is a bit straightforward. While my water is iced, I can still feel it warming my throat. Could be more subtle. Can be good unsugared to, somewhat like blanche.

Finish
The finish is long lasting, crispy, minty... so very nice, but still it has a strong alcohol flavor lingering.

Overall
A quite good absinthe and one that Canadians can be proud of. I think the major thing to upgrade is the aroma and color, as far as I'm concerned with my not very keen smell and the fact that this is the only natural green available in Montreal, these two are OK. Still, I'm curious about what fruit they use for their alcohol and I think a lot of the unsettling things about this absinthe are linked to that. I'll have to re-review it when more experienced in « verte ».

So I'll boost the overall rating a bit for now. Even if it feels a bit odd with the Blind tune. 'cause this song is all about getting from nice and light to loud and heavy, and the Taboo feels a bit like the contrary. Tell her that my lonesome nights are over, Miss Green Fairy. I'm so alone, don't have nobody to call my own. Please turn on your magic bean, miss Green Fairy, bring me a dream.

P. S. :Done with one dose, sugared with a drop of simple syrup, at 3-3,5:1. And I don't like the bottle, which while beautiful, is not practical for storing and pouring.
L
Top 100 Reviewer 5 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment