Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Presentation (no points):

Interesting bottle for this absinthe, tall and skinny, which makes it fit on my absinthe counter well. Unfortunately it also means that it's only 500ml, which seems stingy. For reference, this review is based upon a brand new bottle, freshly opened.

Color (3):

The color was surprisingly light. A casual glance and one might mistake it for a blanche. It was clear and bright, but the weak color was a little disappointing for a verte.

Louche (4):

The louche came on immediately from a slow-drip brouille setup. This was somewhat anticipated based on the use of star anise, but it was even more immediate than expected. Fully louched, it looks like a blanche with the tiniest tinge of green. The louche was full and attractive and may have been in contention for a 5 from an actual blanche, but from a verte the lack of color was again a bit underwhelming.

Aroma (4):

The aroma from the bottle is primarily star anise to my nose, smelled neat it is much the same. While it has a fairly mild aroma from the bottle, once louched it changed completely. An entirely unexpected fruity aroma comes to the front. It's interesting and somewhat pleasant.

Taste (2):

I was really taken back by the taste of this absinthe. The fruitiness hits you up front, it's almost a confectionery taste. Others have compared it to Juicy Fruit gum, and I see the comparison. However, this is only the initial taste, half way through some of the more earthy wormwood flavors come in to play, and on my palate that seems to clash a little bit. Either one or the other would work on its own, but combined to be it tastes like chewing Juicy Fruit and eating a mushroom at the same time. Perhaps the analogy overstates my feeling, as I don't dislike this absinthe, but the flavor combination is a tad disharmonious for me.

Finish (4):

When the flavor clash subsides a bit, the mild tingle of the star anise and some subtle fruitiness remain. I actually prefer the finish over the immediate taste. The star anise did not produce an overwhelming numbness of the tongue, which I've experienced with other recipes which use star anise.

Overall (3):

By my estimation this seems to be a properly made, if unusual, absinthe. It has some very interesting flavors that I have not tasted in an absinthe before, which makes me glad I ordered a bottle as new tastes and different flavor profiles are what trying new things should be, and is what gives one a new experience. That being said, this would not be one of my preferred absinthes to have on a regular basis, as the flavors just do not coalesce in a substantially pleasurable way for me to complete the experience. Nevertheless, Taboo is a well made, unique take on absinthe that I think it is worthwhile to try.
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Post a Comment