Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

-Color-
Before Water: Clear

After Water: Attractive blanche white with blue highlights.

-Louche-
Good action but a little quicker than I expected given the high ABV, but overall action is good. Ended a bit on the thicker side- not being able to detect excessive star anise or tails increases my respect for this.

-Aroma-
Before Water: Fragrant citrus, fresh earth. Rather nice for an unlouched 80% extrait.

After Water: Floral citrus side by side with a smooth earthy aroma that could be described as rain in the desert. Reminds me of the “fresh dirt” smell of Matter’s Blanche Traditionelle (also a “brut”).

-Flavor/Mouthfeel-
I get the trinity of anise fennel and wormwood but they seem to help form an umbrella of candied lemonish citrus mid palate that also contributes to a juicy mouthfeel. Towards the finish the well balanced trinity comes out from the umbrella and some spicy nuances kick in.

-Finish-
The spice and wormwood carry through the finish with refreshing mid-high notes while the candied citrus and earthy notes reverberate softly in the background.

-Overall-
I quite enjoyed this Eichelberger blanche. It’s been awhile since I had the 68 Limitee verte, but I think I like this even more (though it’s quite possible this is the same distillate for Eich vertes before coloration and proofing). While the flavors are familiar, I got none of the cloying waxy finish I remember from the Limitee verte.

Notes: Approx 5:1 ratio due to high alcohol content, sample aged 8 months. No sugar was used, but I think this absinthe would be particularly well suited for it. I might have to get a full bottle and see for myself.
G
Report this review Was this review helpful? 6 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account