Are You Legal Drinking Age In Your Country?

By entering this site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Legal Disclaimer.

Review Detail

4.4 10 0.5
very nice.
Overall rating

Appearance

Louche

Aroma

Flavor / Mouthfeel

Finish

Overall

Color is a bit light; pale with a hint of green but mostly dead leaf. Well within the legitimate range but I prefer a bit brighter hue. I give it a 4.

Louche forms (mostly) from the bottom.Well on the way to opacity at 1:1. The thin line at the top finally disappears around 1:5 or so. Thick but not completely opaque. Another 4.

Aroma--Before watering, pretty alcoholic and minty. A bit rough. After adding water it opens up a bit. Very prominent minty wormwood is evident; other factors are present but pretty seamlessly blended to this nose. I chalk this up to 5 years of aging. Exhaling after drinking yields a very nice wormwood flavor. 4.

The flavor is wormwoody as all get-out with a very minty subtext. This is what a wormwood-heavy absinthe is trying to be. Anise and fennel are clearly present, but by no means dominant. There is a bit of burny alcoholic heat. The origin of the base alcohol(grape, grain, whatever) is not evident. Dry and a bit tingly on the tongue. Marked as a 4, but if this thing would let me enter 4.5 that would be more to my liking.

The finish is long, lingering, and pleasant.The tongue tingles with a blunt dryness that somehow works. Not particularly layered, but a nice long smooth fade out to a peppery dry warm tongue. Again, I attribute this to aging. Also, I'd give it a 4.5 if I could.

Overall, an intriguing product. If I had discovered this when I first started drinking absinthe in earnest--back when Doubs Mystique was a frontrunner on my favorites list-- I would have been all over this one. Nowadays my tastes are a bit different(for the most part) but as I grow more knowledgeable about absinthe I am struck by the skill evident in this product and its unique flavour. Not having tasted it when it was fresh I cannot say for certain how well it has aged but it has clearly aged well. An easy 4 across the board.
B
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account