Copyright 2017 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Brevans A. O. Spare
Traditional Absinthe
Before water the absinthe is a vibrant, mossy green. Foresty. The aroma is rounded, honeyed. Anise is the only discernable herb. Purfumey.

The louche is a tad tin but nice. It ends a pale, opalescent sea green. With water the aroma becomes much more anise-heavy, but still has notes of honey. Not much wormwood.

The flavour is smooth and balanced, very sweet. Finally on the palate there's a good wormwood presence. Earthy with a cedar note or two, perhaps some powder. Not very complex but tasty.

The finish is long and sweet, but lacks complexity. A bit candyish.

I think there's room for improvement but it's a very enjoyable, albeit dark, absinthe. I did expect something a bit more idiosyncratic and adventurous based on its namesake but it's quite good anyway.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by Andrew Young July 07, 2011
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (60)

Lacks the trail blazing nature of its namesake

Before water the absinthe is a vibrant, mossy green. Foresty. The aroma is rounded, honeyed. Anise is the only discernable herb. Purfumey.

The louche is a tad tin but nice. It ends a pale, opalescent sea green. With water the aroma becomes much more anise-heavy, but still has notes of honey. Not much wormwood.

The flavour is smooth and balanced, very sweet. Finally on the palate there's a good wormwood presence. Earthy with a cedar note or two, perhaps some powder. Not very complex but tasty.

The finish is long and sweet, but lacks complexity. A bit candyish.

I think there's room for improvement but it's a very enjoyable, albeit dark, absinthe. I did expect something a bit more idiosyncratic and adventurous based on its namesake but it's quite good anyway.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account