Copyright 2017 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Germain-Robin
Traditional Absinthe
Sampled at 3:1, 4:1 and 4.5:1, where I found it most drinkable. No sugar.

Color: A very faint yellow hue. It is almost clear, and looks natural.

Louche: It develops quite quickly, and is fairly thick. At 4.5:1 however, it looked appropriate and pretty.

Aroma: Neat, it smells delicious; honey, pear, traces of anise and wormwood way in the back. It seemed more liqueur-like than absinthe to me. As water was added, it grew less and less sweet and fruity, becoming a bit medicinal. Still, it is a quality aroma, just not one I personally equate with absinthe. For this reason, I gave it a 3.

Flavor: I struggle here, as it is not bad tasting. It is in fact quite well-crafted, it simply isn't very much like absinthe to me. The medicinal edge comes from a menthol element that reminds me a bit of cough drops...tasty ones however. Still this threw me a bit. The trad elements of absinthe were harder to detect at the higher dilutions, where I found this more drinkable.

Finish: Quite a nice finish. Gently bitter, layered elements, a nice build and decay. Perhaps the highlight of this absinthe for me.

Overall: The aroma, flavor and finish work well together and meld nicely. It is certainly a well-crafted drink. For me however, it is too far off the track of what I enjoy in absinthe profiles. Some however, may really like this, perhaps due to the mead element.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by Scott M. June 03, 2011
Last updated: June 03, 2011
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (64)

Certainly a different take on absinthe

Sampled at 3:1, 4:1 and 4.5:1, where I found it most drinkable. No sugar.

Color: A very faint yellow hue. It is almost clear, and looks natural.

Louche: It develops quite quickly, and is fairly thick. At 4.5:1 however, it looked appropriate and pretty.

Aroma: Neat, it smells delicious; honey, pear, traces of anise and wormwood way in the back. It seemed more liqueur-like than absinthe to me. As water was added, it grew less and less sweet and fruity, becoming a bit medicinal. Still, it is a quality aroma, just not one I personally equate with absinthe. For this reason, I gave it a 3.

Flavor: I struggle here, as it is not bad tasting. It is in fact quite well-crafted, it simply isn't very much like absinthe to me. The medicinal edge comes from a menthol element that reminds me a bit of cough drops...tasty ones however. Still this threw me a bit. The trad elements of absinthe were harder to detect at the higher dilutions, where I found this more drinkable.

Finish: Quite a nice finish. Gently bitter, layered elements, a nice build and decay. Perhaps the highlight of this absinthe for me.

Overall: The aroma, flavor and finish work well together and meld nicely. It is certainly a well-crafted drink. For me however, it is too far off the track of what I enjoy in absinthe profiles. Some however, may really like this, perhaps due to the mead element.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account