Copyright 2017 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Butterfly
Traditional Absinthe
Color: A deep peridot with yellow tinges. Inviting.

Louche: Lots of anise lends a thick and milky quality (not in a bad way). I'd give it a 5 because the depth is nice, but the end color is just a tad pallid and yellow for me. Still very nice.

Aroma: Lots going on here. Anise, hints of wormwood, mint, rootbeer, orange peels, and confectioners sugar. Intriguing.

Flavor: As intriguing as the aroma! It's a bit heavier on the anise than I prefer, and a little lighter on the wormwood than I prefer, but it's still delicious. The levels of anise lend a very noticeable sweetness on the soft palate. There's a nice level of herbal spiciness as well, with hints of mint, genepy, licorice, and earth. Quite good.

Finish: Sweet with just a touch of mint. I'd love to taste a bit more wormwood here, as it would help to balance out the sweetness. It lingers nicely, without a lot of numbing.

Overall:This is a very well made and tasty verte. It's great to see it hit the U.S. shores.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by Brian Robinson August 14, 2010
Last updated: October 30, 2013
#1 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (211)

An enjoyable and interesting verte!

Color: A deep peridot with yellow tinges. Inviting.

Louche: Lots of anise lends a thick and milky quality (not in a bad way). I'd give it a 5 because the depth is nice, but the end color is just a tad pallid and yellow for me. Still very nice.

Aroma: Lots going on here. Anise, hints of wormwood, mint, rootbeer, orange peels, and confectioners sugar. Intriguing.

Flavor: As intriguing as the aroma! It's a bit heavier on the anise than I prefer, and a little lighter on the wormwood than I prefer, but it's still delicious. The levels of anise lend a very noticeable sweetness on the soft palate. There's a nice level of herbal spiciness as well, with hints of mint, genepy, licorice, and earth. Quite good.

Finish: Sweet with just a touch of mint. I'd love to taste a bit more wormwood here, as it would help to balance out the sweetness. It lingers nicely, without a lot of numbing.

Overall:This is a very well made and tasty verte. It's great to see it hit the U.S. shores.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account