Copyright 2017 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Belle Amie
Traditional Absinthe
Color: nice green olive with an amber shade, a little too deep for a modern absinthe imo.

Louche: not opalescent but still nicely formed. But pay attention, you have to stop the water drip quickly, otherwise the louche is ruined (see 'Overall' below).

Aroma: Typical wormwood/green anise from the Emile Pernot distillery in Pontarlier. Then I smell a good fennel hidden behind spiciness. Overall pleasant and floral, Belle Amie strength.

Flavor: This is mainly where I'm disappointed, the flavor doesn't follow the great aroma. Ok it's good but quickly monotonous, a bit one-dimensional.

Finish: good but a little too biting, the coriander takes the podium here.

Overall: I would say "too well balanced", it's missing some punch, a true character, something that would make say "wow! let's have another one".

Also, if you're not tasting it at different louching steps (I've tried many), or if you're used to a higher ratio from your past 'vertes' experiences, then you're taking the risk of drinking an absinthe-perfumed water glass. Start tasting it at 3:1 or just before that, do not wait for the usual undiluted layer to disappear before drinking it!
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by mthuilli July 11, 2008
Last updated: July 11, 2008
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (9)

A bit monotonous...

Color: nice green olive with an amber shade, a little too deep for a modern absinthe imo.

Louche: not opalescent but still nicely formed. But pay attention, you have to stop the water drip quickly, otherwise the louche is ruined (see 'Overall' below).

Aroma: Typical wormwood/green anise from the Emile Pernot distillery in Pontarlier. Then I smell a good fennel hidden behind spiciness. Overall pleasant and floral, Belle Amie strength.

Flavor: This is mainly where I'm disappointed, the flavor doesn't follow the great aroma. Ok it's good but quickly monotonous, a bit one-dimensional.

Finish: good but a little too biting, the coriander takes the podium here.

Overall: I would say "too well balanced", it's missing some punch, a true character, something that would make say "wow! let's have another one".

Also, if you're not tasting it at different louching steps (I've tried many), or if you're used to a higher ratio from your past 'vertes' experiences, then you're taking the risk of drinking an absinthe-perfumed water glass. Start tasting it at 3:1 or just before that, do not wait for the usual undiluted layer to disappear before drinking it!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account