Copyright 2018 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Note: I did this as a before/after with the non-barrel-aged L'Enjôleuse, so may be more comparative than standalone.

Appearance: There isn't a noticeable difference in appearance from the barrel-aging, and it still appears to be a deep fuille morte.

Louche: Yellow-green and overly creamy, but it has some glowing rust and amber reflections that were certainly not present before.

Aroma: There's a bit of pie spice and pleasantness, and it's not overwhelmingly anisey, but it still has some substantial camphor notes punching through.

Flavor/Mouthfeel: To me, this tasted extremely soapy. It had very sour, mentholated flavors and a somewhat dusty taste...still a big anise presence. It certainly FEELS like there's some vanilla flavors present, but it's hard to detect the flavor too well.

Finish: There are some bad throat sensations to go with the juicy/mouthwatering and sour sensations...not in a pleasant way. It's a bit more of a salival assault. There is some hint of oak here, but not much.

Overall: Again, I'm not quite sure why this absinthe is this way...barrel-aging would have me hope for smoothness and some vanilla notes, but this is just more mentholated and harshness.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by Amber Peter February 12, 2013
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (58)

Why?

Note: I did this as a before/after with the non-barrel-aged L'Enjôleuse, so may be more comparative than standalone.

Appearance: There isn't a noticeable difference in appearance from the barrel-aging, and it still appears to be a deep fuille morte.

Louche: Yellow-green and overly creamy, but it has some glowing rust and amber reflections that were certainly not present before.

Aroma: There's a bit of pie spice and pleasantness, and it's not overwhelmingly anisey, but it still has some substantial camphor notes punching through.

Flavor/Mouthfeel: To me, this tasted extremely soapy. It had very sour, mentholated flavors and a somewhat dusty taste...still a big anise presence. It certainly FEELS like there's some vanilla flavors present, but it's hard to detect the flavor too well.

Finish: There are some bad throat sensations to go with the juicy/mouthwatering and sour sensations...not in a pleasant way. It's a bit more of a salival assault. There is some hint of oak here, but not much.

Overall: Again, I'm not quite sure why this absinthe is this way...barrel-aging would have me hope for smoothness and some vanilla notes, but this is just more mentholated and harshness.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account