Copyright 2017 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Angélique Verte Suisse
Traditional Absinthe
*Received as sample in absinthe explore set from absinthes.com

Appearance - Beautiful, clear green. Nothing spectacular, but correct, natural, and attractive.

Louche - Very nice to watch, but a little opaque in comparison to some other offerings.

Aroma - Good balance of herbal notes and anise, but there is something else there that is more difficult to identify. It is definitely a floral scent, but not sure what it is - it seems strangely similar to an artificial citrus (lemon/lime) like that found in sports drinks.

Flavor - While some herbal-centric absinthes seem highly complex and balanced, this one seems a little "off." The wormwood is upfront, but has no direct complements from the other herbs and very little anise (again, this was from a sample, so I'm not sure if the different versions may be coming into play).

Finish - There didn't seem to be much of a finish with this absinthe. First you taste it, then you don't. It goes away very quickly.

Overall - Of the ten sampled absinthes, this fell in the bottom two. While I can see the appeal of a strong wormwood flavor, this one doesn't really do it well in comparison to other, more complex absinthes.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by mzabsinthe February 01, 2013
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (8)

Something off...

*Received as sample in absinthe explore set from absinthes.com

Appearance - Beautiful, clear green. Nothing spectacular, but correct, natural, and attractive.

Louche - Very nice to watch, but a little opaque in comparison to some other offerings.

Aroma - Good balance of herbal notes and anise, but there is something else there that is more difficult to identify. It is definitely a floral scent, but not sure what it is - it seems strangely similar to an artificial citrus (lemon/lime) like that found in sports drinks.

Flavor - While some herbal-centric absinthes seem highly complex and balanced, this one seems a little "off." The wormwood is upfront, but has no direct complements from the other herbs and very little anise (again, this was from a sample, so I'm not sure if the different versions may be coming into play).

Finish - There didn't seem to be much of a finish with this absinthe. First you taste it, then you don't. It goes away very quickly.

Overall - Of the ten sampled absinthes, this fell in the bottom two. While I can see the appeal of a strong wormwood flavor, this one doesn't really do it well in comparison to other, more complex absinthes.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account