Copyright 2018 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Vieux Pontarlier
Traditional Absinthe
with & without sugar - 2.5:1 water ratio

Appearance: Very nice, clear light green that shines like a gemstone. I only wish it was a tiny shade darker - then it would have gotten a perfect score.

Louche: It took a little while to build, which is good, but after that things went rather quickly. There is a lack of "trails."

Aroma: Un-louched - very sweet flavor that initially reminds me of anisette toast cookies. There is a classic absinthe profile that has a bit of that 'alpine freshness' I love. For the first time, I would say I sense a vegetal quality to the nose both from the louched glass that is not particularly pleasant (without sugar added).

Taste: My first impression was that I found this absinthe to be extremely sweet without sugar, and way over the top with it, but later, probably due to the slightly vegetal nose, I went back to the sugar. I don't have a whole lot to say here - It's balanced, and there is no strong alcohol bite. It has the taste I expect from high quality absinthe, but with no interesting complexities or special aspects, save for a dash of spiciness.

Finish: Very thin mouth feel - does not coat the mouth. Light pull on the tongue. The taste dies rather quickly and doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Overall: I was disappointed in this because at the time of purchase it seemed to be held in very high regard. I would say it is not at all on the level of the Doubs Mystique or Roquette offered by the distillery, which are both far more enjoyable to me. I don't want to make it sound like this absinthe is bad in any way, I just wasn't blown away. It is a top shelf absinthe... I guess I am spoiled by things like Marteau and also need to sense some sort of deep complexity in the absinthe to really score it high.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by Neorebel January 27, 2013
Last updated: January 27, 2013
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (12)

Good, but lacking some depth

with & without sugar - 2.5:1 water ratio

Appearance: Very nice, clear light green that shines like a gemstone. I only wish it was a tiny shade darker - then it would have gotten a perfect score.

Louche: It took a little while to build, which is good, but after that things went rather quickly. There is a lack of "trails."

Aroma: Un-louched - very sweet flavor that initially reminds me of anisette toast cookies. There is a classic absinthe profile that has a bit of that 'alpine freshness' I love. For the first time, I would say I sense a vegetal quality to the nose both from the louched glass that is not particularly pleasant (without sugar added).

Taste: My first impression was that I found this absinthe to be extremely sweet without sugar, and way over the top with it, but later, probably due to the slightly vegetal nose, I went back to the sugar. I don't have a whole lot to say here - It's balanced, and there is no strong alcohol bite. It has the taste I expect from high quality absinthe, but with no interesting complexities or special aspects, save for a dash of spiciness.

Finish: Very thin mouth feel - does not coat the mouth. Light pull on the tongue. The taste dies rather quickly and doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Overall: I was disappointed in this because at the time of purchase it seemed to be held in very high regard. I would say it is not at all on the level of the Doubs Mystique or Roquette offered by the distillery, which are both far more enjoyable to me. I don't want to make it sound like this absinthe is bad in any way, I just wasn't blown away. It is a top shelf absinthe... I guess I am spoiled by things like Marteau and also need to sense some sort of deep complexity in the absinthe to really score it high.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account