Copyright 2018 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Traditional Absinthe
Appearance: A light and thin olive color. Clear and natural.

Louche: Opaline displays a perfect translucence with green-amber hues in the body and greyish blue hues towards the top. Very “opalescent”.

Aroma: The anise comes out right away with a slight citrus and spice notes as well. The wormwood balances nicely with other herbal scents still lingering.

Flavor: The initial flavor is surprisingly wormwood forward with the anise and spice notes taking a more supporting role. The texture is smooth but also very light with a fair amount of alcohol still detectable. There is a wonderful background note of an earthy and citrus brightness that reminds me of crisp lettuce. Although there is a lot going on, the overall flavor impression is unfortunately a bit weak even at lower ratios.

Finish: The finish sweetens up and then turns to a pleasant bitterness. The fresh-earthy tone underscores the duration and a curious astringency hits the sides of my palate towards the end.

Overall: Opaline is a refreshing and lighter absinthe, almost too light. The flavors and textures don't pound ones palate and are otherwise crisp and well balanced.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by Evan Camomile September 24, 2012
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (70)

Light and Fresh

Appearance: A light and thin olive color. Clear and natural.

Louche: Opaline displays a perfect translucence with green-amber hues in the body and greyish blue hues towards the top. Very “opalescent”.

Aroma: The anise comes out right away with a slight citrus and spice notes as well. The wormwood balances nicely with other herbal scents still lingering.

Flavor: The initial flavor is surprisingly wormwood forward with the anise and spice notes taking a more supporting role. The texture is smooth but also very light with a fair amount of alcohol still detectable. There is a wonderful background note of an earthy and citrus brightness that reminds me of crisp lettuce. Although there is a lot going on, the overall flavor impression is unfortunately a bit weak even at lower ratios.

Finish: The finish sweetens up and then turns to a pleasant bitterness. The fresh-earthy tone underscores the duration and a curious astringency hits the sides of my palate towards the end.

Overall: Opaline is a refreshing and lighter absinthe, almost too light. The flavors and textures don't pound ones palate and are otherwise crisp and well balanced.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account