Copyright 2017 - Custom text here

Review Detail

Retired Brands
I tend to characterize absinthe as either "herbal" or "spicy." The Helfrich Verte falls onto the extreme end of the "spicy" spectrum, at least among absinthe I have tried to date. The color before water was a greenish gold, very clear, and the louche was also attractive, forming a yellowish jade in the end. The aroma was very spicy: a little medicinal before water, but pleasing, complex, and interesting afterward, with a strong element of white pepper. The flavor was even better: not exactly balanced, but intense and interesting. Again, pepper was a prominent note.

If there is a flaw in this absinthe, it is in the finish, which I found reminiscent of tequila. This is where the medicinal aroma came back to haunt the Helfrich just a bit. That said, overall this absinthe is quite good, and an interesting change from what one usually encounters.
Overall rating 

Appearance 

Louche 

Aroma 

Flavor / Mouthfeel 

Finish 

Overall 

Reviewed by marlow January 16, 2010
Last updated: January 16, 2010
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (38)

Extreme spice!

I tend to characterize absinthe as either "herbal" or "spicy." The Helfrich Verte falls onto the extreme end of the "spicy" spectrum, at least among absinthe I have tried to date. The color before water was a greenish gold, very clear, and the louche was also attractive, forming a yellowish jade in the end. The aroma was very spicy: a little medicinal before water, but pleasing, complex, and interesting afterward, with a strong element of white pepper. The flavor was even better: not exactly balanced, but intense and interesting. Again, pepper was a prominent note.

If there is a flaw in this absinthe, it is in the finish, which I found reminiscent of tequila. This is where the medicinal aroma came back to haunt the Helfrich just a bit. That said, overall this absinthe is quite good, and an interesting change from what one usually encounters.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account