DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

The SO and I are sipping ice cold Aviations on the lawn.

Care to share your recipe? I have lemons at the ready, and I'm ready to give the Aviation one more try.

... Makes me feel like a downright simpleton for planning on a Sauvage after removing the wax with hot tap water and a butter knife earlier.

Fixed! :devil:

To celebrate my rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, a uniquely American absinthe, Ridge Blanche.

Great minds think alike. ;)

I celebrated with a Ridge Verte, followed by a Ridge Blanche, followed by another Ridge Verte...

Enjoyed the opportunity of sharing this great stuff with a few of the unintiated.

I searched the forum, found a reference to Gary Regan's Aviation (can't go wrong there, eh?). So 1/2 oz ea. lemon juice, R&W Creme de Violette, and Leopold Bros. maraschino liqueur, and 1.5 oz Leopold Bros gin.

It's beautiful ... and it tastes like gin and lemon juice. There's something about this cocktail that just doesn't work for me. I've tried it off and on over the past couple of years, different recipes, whatever. I just can't get it to blend and balance. I taste the gin and lemon really separately, and then the maraschino and CdV are there in the background sort of muddying things up.

Oh well, the enchiladas are ready :thumbup:

... Makes me feel like a downright simpleton for planning on a Sauvage after removing the wax with hot tap water and a butter knife earlier.

Fixed! :devil:

Actually I did it with hot tap water and a table knife (and probably 2 dozen paper towels). It was a complete mess just like the first bottle I opened. The wax used on the early Sauvage bottlings is nothing like the wax on the other EP offerings (BdJ and Perroquet, for instance).

Miguel, I don't know how I've gotten this far in life without you.

The wax tops on DP and EP aren't that hard really are they? I just take me ole CaseXX and slide right around the lip edge quick like and its done. Plug comes out with a wax top on it. Looks real pretty. Peel the wax off the bottle and good to go.

Actually, you should have seen the mess that could be had with early bottles of Jade where corks crumbled and remnents of wax had to be carefully cleand off the bottles opening.

DP bottles are nothing in comparison.

Edited by greytail

My Case XX does an adequate job performing this job as well. Case is my brand........well.......just for the last 15 years or so. ;)

I'm sipping Pacifique right now. Having fun with it. :devil:

:cheers:

I must admit the Sauvage top is one of the tougher, but it wasn't so bad the second time around. The first one left a mess all over the kitchen, which led to the no opening of wax tops in the house rule. Hot water, and careful ose of a knife helps. The DPs are a cakewalk compared to the Jades or the Sauvage.

I'll be happy if they use stainless screwtops again. If 316SS is good enough for 10,000 psi fittings, it's good enough for bottle tops.

Spent the day playing pirate, only it wasn't the fun looting and pillaging stuff, but instead we swabbed the deck (1/2 done). Anyway, it put me in a certain mood, so we each had a couple of upscale Mai Tai's, using Oronoco and Mount Gay Extra Old rums. Followed by a Hop Rod Rye ale.

Went for a swim in lucid last night. Maybe it was the several months of sitting, but it sure was a decent drink. Louche and mouthfeel were up there eith the top dogs. Flavor a 3.5, and aroma a 3.0. It's just hard to compete when the last two are 4.0 or higher for the rest of my cabinet, but still a quite decent drink.

Actually, you should have seen the mess that could be had with early bottles of Jade where corks crumbled and remnents of wax had to be carefully cleand off the bottles opening.

Yeah, my Jade NO was a real nightmare to uncork.

But the drink itself is certainly worth the trouble. Good thing we absinthe drinkers have a little more patience than most other drinkers!

:cheerz:

Once you get the Jade uncorked, use the t-cork provided in the pie bottle. Quick fix.

I'm there for you minnalouche. :cheers:

You can just put an inverted plastic cup over the pie bottle and everthing will be wonderful. :wave2:

My first glass of Enigma. It seemed fitting as it was in the box with the distillates I ordered, and is made using the same technique of blending, and by the same maker, as the distillates themselves.

Sharing a glass of Perroquet and Authentique with the SO. Passing the glasses back and forth on the couch, staying indoors to beat the heat (109 today in the Lou).

Sharing a glass of Perroquet and Authentique with the SO. Passing the glasses back and forth on the couch, staying indoors to beat the heat (109 today in the Lou).

In the "Lou"? Cute.

Authentique on the way for me so hopefully this up and coming week AND when the temps are back to normal. Haven't y'all had like 10 days or more straight of 100+?