DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

To celebrate my rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, a uniquely American absinthe, Ridge Blanche. Tonight it hits the spot like an eagle put.

chrome autocorrect is sneakier, and less handy that the iPhone one.

Edited by Père Ubu

Oh hell, yes!

The fountain will start dripping at 6:00, food should be ready to come off the grill by 7:00. Fireworks when it gets dark about 10:30. Feel free to stop by early. :cheers:

A man after my own heart.

Back on topic….about to get into a glass of LCB :) Looking forward to seeing the FedEx man tomorrow. I got a couple gigs coming up, so that ought to get me into some Ridge by the end of the month :)

Edited by castelletti

Burgundy and Bourdeaux tonight...the King and Queen. Bar-B-Que and other interesting foods. Pedro Ximénez. A weird cucumber cocktail. Homebrewed beer...

Just tasted my first Sazerac. Nice change of pace from what I normally drink. All I had was Woodford Reserve and while it makes an outstanding Old Fashioned it's probably not the best choice for the Sazerac.

SO glad I'm not working tomorrow.

I lost count tonight.... Feeling it pretty deeply. Funny how the best people/best friends I know are in the absinthe communities, and so many of the local folks I've known for years just don't seem to get the point of being happy and alive. Kinda makes me sad.

Burgundy and Bourdeaux tonight...the King and Queen. Bar-B-Que and other interesting foods. Pedro Ximénez. A weird cucumber cocktail. Homebrewed beer...

I did the BBQ, but would have rather had accompaniment to the likes of this.

Funny how the best people/best friends I know are in the absinthe communities, and so many of the local folks I've known for years just don't seem to get the point of being happy and alive. Kinda makes me sad.

I know exactly what you mean, Scott.

I'll just chalk it up to a simple equation...absinthe = vitality. ;)

Let's just remember that the absinthe community is global.

I'll be drinking Pacifique and Marteau this afternoon. (back on track) ;)

I'll be following suit with the former almost every day , at least until my L'Ancienne arrives.

Gonna to be a bit too warm to enjoy the strong winter ales for awhile, methinks.

Last night made an improvised version of my favorite absinthe cocktail, French sparkling lemonade with absinthe and a dash of bitters, with a substitution of arak for the absinthe. The arak was missing something, but it still was a nice and historically apt way to celebrate the birth of my country. With a little help from the French, that is.

Drinking some Arberlour Abunadh. This is by far the best whisky I can get for about 50 bucks US (apart from maybe the Laophroaig 10 Cask Strength). As much as I like the peaty Islay whiskies, the Abunadh is special.

This whisky confirms for me that any good whisky deserves to be cask strength. For example, I've got a bottle of Lagavulin 16, which is a well loved whisky. But it's too brittle at the bottled 43%, even a drop too much of water and it loses its touch. If they bottled the Lagavulin 16 at cask strength with no chill filter, it could be the best whisky on the market. They have a 12 year cask strength, but I've never tried.

Drinking the Abunadh is like driving in an old Mercedes on a balmy night with a curvy girl in a satin dress cuddling up to you. It's thick, juicy, smooth, and just delicious. You know a drink is good when it conjures up memories which you've never actually experienced.

I like Lagavulin. Course, I don't normally add a wee dram of water even if the Scot's do to open up the bouquet a bit further.

I like Jura too. Laphroaig isn't bad either.

I got to visit Tallisker and Glenfiddich's distilleries a few years ago while on a climbing trip there.

Edited by greytail

I've never tried the Jura. I was never into Scotch before I moved to Taiwan, but people here are all about the Macallans, the Glenfiddiches, the Glenrothes, and the Glenlivet. These big-name Speysides have cornered the market here.

To be honest, Scotch has a huge following in Taiwan, and companies do aggressive marketing here, but most Taiwanese don't have very good taste in Scotch. They'd rather spend a month's wages on Johnny Walker Blue than a day's wages on a proper single malt.

I didn't think I liked Scotch, but it turns out that Singleton on the rocks isn't the same as a great single malt with a dash of water.

Marketing is everything. Especially for families which finally have spendable income after decades of poverty.

Around Chinese New Year here, every house has got a few bottles of Hennesy or Johnny Walker on display in their front room. The funny thing is, after New Year all those bottles are stored away again for another year . . . while there are dozens of empty bottles of crap Taiwan beer and Kaoliang.

The SO and I are sipping ice cold Aviations on the lawn. She's got her Kindle out, reading Book 3 of Game of Thrones. In reading Econ History reading for a client. Lovely night.

If you like the series, you'll love the books. The breadth of the cast is somewhat muted in the tv adaptation, although their character casting has been phenomenal so far.

The SO and I are sipping ice cold Aviations on the lawn... Lovely night.

That sounds delish. Makes me feel like a downright simpleton for planning on a Sauvage after removing the wax with a chainsaw earlier.

You people that struggle so much with wax, there is a simple solution.

Send the bottles to me. I will remove the wax in a nice way and take one obligatory drink so as to start the aging game that some insist on doing. I will then send the bottle back safely packaged. Piece o' cake!