DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Went to Nightjar last night. O. My. God. Sixteen different absinthes on the menu.

Let's see... I had Emile 68, L'Authentique, Napoleon III, Angelique and bloody hell but I can't remember the fifth. Suisse Verte, I think.

What did you think of Nightjar? I am a bit biased, so it might help others if you have a chance to post a review in the London section. Did you have any of the cocktails with absinthe too?

Went to Nightjar last night. O. My. God. Sixteen different absinthes on the menu.

Let's see... I had Emile 68, L'Authentique, Napoleon III, Angelique and bloody hell but I can't remember the fifth. Suisse Verte, I think.

What did you think of Nightjar? I am a bit biased, so it might help others if you have a chance to post a review in the London section. Did you have any of the cocktails with absinthe too?

I will post a review as soon as I get back home. Too difficult to type much on my kindle.

Our evening at Nightjar was by far our best experience in London. More on that when I get home.

More of that absolutely extraordinarily luxurious and complex Fremont Bourbon Abominable Winter Ale 2011.

This elixir would be my desert island pick, hands down, even over any vintage of The Abyss.

It's actually been a while since visiting The Wormwood Society, but anyway(s):

Tonight (in Sweden it's about half past nine PM) I'm sipping as slowly as I can on some Mari Mayans while watching the second episode of the Swedish TV-series "Strindberg - A life" from 1985 about the quite famous Swedish author and playwriter August Strindberg.

PS: If you, by any chance, happen to stumble upon a quite new Swedish absin(the?) called Prestige August Strindberg Absinthe 55 - Please do avoid it! I thought it tasted like some chewing gum and shortly thereafter as natural rubber or a car tire! Here's mr Hartsmar's opinion (in English), but I might say that I thought even worse of it.

Santé!

I knew I liked this Butterfly when I tried it at the Brompton Bar, but I always like to wait and make a final judgement when I can louche the stuff using my own fountain, my own glass, my own little additions of simple syrup and lime and cucumber slices.

NOW I can say, I really really like Butterfly.

:cheers:

Tonight (in Sweden it's about half past nine PM) I'm sipping as slowly as I can on some Mari Mayans while watching the second episode of the Swedish TV-series "Strindberg - A life" from 1985 about the quite famous Swedish author and playwriter August Strindberg.

We think The Ghost Sonata is one of his most wondrous works. Inferno is quite well-written as well. Have you ever seen Strindberg and Helium? Also, I think his grandson (or possibly great grandson) plays him in this film.

Pour votre santé. :cheers:

Edited by Alfred Jarry

We think The Ghost Sonata is one of his most wondrous works. Inferno is quite well-written as well. Have you ever seen Strindberg and Helium? Also, I think his grandson (or possibly great grandson) plays him in this film.

Pour votre santé. :cheers:

I have to confess that I'm not really that into August Strindbergs works that much, actually. I was merely seeking indications about him drinking absinthe in that TV-series... *shame (!) on me*

After no drinking since last Sunday (crazy, I know!) and completing my first 5k this morning, I celebrated with some lovely rose wine, and now sharing some glasses of Montmartre & Eichelberger with my sweetie.

I have to confess that I'm not really that into August Strindbergs works that much...

Neither are we. He failed to understand the symbolic aspects of alchemy. That, and, despite his appreciation for absinthe, he proved to be quite the outspoken sexist. :nono:

Edited by Alfred Jarry

2012 Stone Imperial Stout.

Normally, I'm a fan, although I'm wild about it, but this year's vintage is one of the most nauseating stouts I've tried in years.

It's waaaay over-roasted, to the point of tasting like used charcoal briquettes overlayed with chocolate and coffee scented dishwater, and spiked with sea salt. :puke: :puke: :puke:

Wtf Stone was thinking when they released this travesty is anybody's guess. I'd like to think this was an infected bottle, but there was absolutely no gushing, the head retention was appropriate, and there was none of the butterscotch and bandage thing that almost always accompanies an infected brew.

Jules and I shared a bottle of Stone's Old Guardian Barley Wine the other evening. I thought it was quite good.

Washing down BBQ ribs with Flathead Lake Nut Brown Ale. It works well.

Last night, I wandered into one of my favorite eateries. As soon as we sat down, the proprietress excitedly told us, they had just tapped a keg of Old Rasputin. Very nice, indeed.

3 parts French vermouth

1/2 Italian vermouth

1/2 Hendrick's gin

a dash of Angostura

a generous rinse of absinthe

stir stir stir

edit - I just improved upon this recipe, now it's very delicious!!

2 parts French vermouth

1 part water

1/2 part Hendrick's gin

1/2 part aged brandy

1/2 Italian vermouth

dash of Angostura

generous rinse of absinthe (about 3 dashes)

stirred vigorously of course

Edited by thickasabrick

Marteau 2008!!!!! I just couldn't take it anymore.I was gonna' wait until it was on the shelves again,but everytime I go to pick a bottle, there it is staring at me going..."open me Bobby,....open me"!!! :devil: This bottle's 2/3rds gone and it's been open for about two yrs I think. So glad I stopped waiting! I have one unopened that I do want to save for a good long time.(see how that goes) :cheers:

So, I'm about half-way through a glass of Eddy.... it's already been more satisfying than the rest of my day.

:cheers:

Edited by Hedonmonkey