DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Val Dieu Grand Cru.

Belgian strong, dark ale redolent of honey, cherries, plums raisins, bananas, cloves, wildflowers, and figs.

The carbonation is extremely soft, the body is absurdly creamy, and the balance is impeccable.

If the overall flavor profile were a tad less sweet, it would be up there with St. Bernardus Abt 12, but the stuff is pretty damned good, in its own right. :thumbup:

After finding out that Redwun has been buying "Ridge" here in Ct. I found some while out shopping. Pretty good stuff and definitely benefits from a little sugar, in my opinion of course. :cheers:

Also available on Ct shelves are Pacifique,VP,St George,Mansinthe,& Duplais.(guess we don't have it so bad)Double check the label when buying Duplais,as I've seen both 60% & 68% versions here. I also just saw a couple bottles of Mata Hari today. :puke: If anyone's interested,send me a private message & I'll disclose the location. :laugh:

Edited by redwun

...Double check the label when buying Duplais, as I've seen both 60% & 68% versions here.

You've run across a remaining bottle of Duplias Blanche (the 60% version). I'd snap it up since I believe that Tempus Fugit no longer imports it. It's yummy stuff.

...Double check the label when buying Duplais, as I've seen both 60% & 68% versions here.

You've run across a remaining bottle of Duplias Blanche (the 60% version). I'd snap it up since I believe that Tempus Fugit no longer imports it. It's yummy stuff.

Thanks,I didn't notice that.The labels looked so similar.

Thanks,I didn't notice that.The labels looked so similar.

Gin and tonics last night at the hotel. Now it's Sunday and the weekend already feels done. Almost.

:)

A shot glass of Dwojniak Maliniak Polish raspberry mead aged for six years in oak and another four in its crock.

Very luxurious and mouth feel and flavor. On the sweet side, for sure, but not overly so, with evident vanilla and oak, and just the right level of raspberry coming through at the finish. Expensive at $40 a pop, but definitely worth it.

Onward to that patiently waiting bottle of 2009 Old Stock Bourbon Barrel Aged Ale.

Edited by Absomphe

Obsello, then LCB. Will have number three while watching Mad Men tonight... hmmm, maybe Soixante-cinq. That bitch is powerful strong.

Some Crescent City inspired concoction brewed, distilled, and brewed again, near another big muddy river on the ANW.

The aging has worked wonders. I need to open my new bottle and let it age for later on. This is well made stuff by a cat that knows absinthe rather well, I'd say.

Old Stock (not barrel aged).

The bourbon adds to the complexity of the brew, but this standard edition allows the smoke, rum-raisin, caramel, toffee, plum, leather, tobacco, figs, canned brown bread, dates, and even a touch of banana and clove come through more emphatically, so it's almost as terrific. One of the few genuine American interpretaions of the classic English Old Ale, and I'd pick it over a young Thomas Hardy's almost every time.

Edited by Absomphe

Hmmmm...Thomas Hardy's. Been a long time since I've had that!

Same here.

I haven't noticed it on the shelves in my neck of the woods for quite some time, either.

Besides Old Stock, the closest we get to an Old Ale is Samuel Smith Stingo which is delicious, but a shade on the "weak" side, at 8-9% abv, with flavors more on the red fruit side, (as opposed to brown), and less rich and robust than the other two.

Why, yes.

Yes, I can.

Why is that, you may wonder.

Onacuz I did the same damned lame-arsed thing in 1986!

I keep hearing about these disciplined folks who can actually put away a stash of eminently age-able xit, and actually age it.

Makes me feel like I'm from a parallel universe, it does. :huh: :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe

Whiskey Sour, local honey instead of sugar. Sore throat, but right now I feel fine.

I beat a cold last week as I had a sore throat and an eminent cold on the horizon. Airborne worked for me, lest yours might be from allergies or screaming or similar.