DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Artemis came along, as if you're his bitch he needs to protect,

You can be my bitch too.

Thanks for confirming that he is. No thanks, you have your hands full with the one you have already.

Artemis, read what you wrote again. You wrote that the Wikipedia article "speaks for itself". No, it does not, but you wrote that it did, as if that makes it "ok" to use the derogatory term and accepted by the masses where, in many circles, it is NOT. Your "speaks for itself" comment is invalid, myopic and incontrovertibly wrong.

Artemis may speak for himself but that's about it. Recognize what you wrote, the message you meant to convey and the fact that we ALL know EXACTLY what you wanted us to think by you posting what you did.

If particular members of that group choose to use that word, I suppose they have privileges that I do not.

I think you're being too charitable in that case.

Nobody is going to tell me he can use a word that I can't.

The thing about words is, they have no power that the listener doesn't lend them.

If the people who are offended by certain words laughed instead, those words would lose their perceived power and fall out of use. It works better than trying to control what other people say ...........

I try to stay on the high road, but for me it's a logical road, not an emotional road. The emotional road often ends in a swamp of confusion and tears.

I try to stay on the high road, but for me it's a logical road, not an emotional road. The emotional road often ends in a swamp of confusion and tears.

If this were true, I don't think you'd have stirred the pot with your original posting on this subject. "High road", is a relative term and the elevation for your high road could very well be in that swamp of confusion of tears. Not very high.

You wrote that the Wikipedia article "speaks for itself"

YOU go back and read what I wrote. I did not write that. I wrote that I provided a point of information (the legal proceeding) that speaks for itself. I didn't put words into the mouths of anybody in that proceeding - it's on the record.

we ALL know EXACTLY what you wanted us to think by you posting what you did

It seems I stumbled into a forum of mind readers. Tell me the winning Powerball numbers and I'll get out of your hair.

If this were true, I don't think you'd have stirred the pot with your original posting on this subject.

I'll try to be more careful and let the assertions of others go unchallenged in future. Maybe in another lifetime.

"High road", is a relative term and the elevation for your high road could very well be in that swamp of confusion of tears. Not very high.

That doesn't even make sense. I was talking about logic versus emotion, but you know that.

YOU go back and read what I wrote. I did not write that. I wrote that I provided a point of information (the legal proceeding) that speaks for itself. I didn't put words into the mouths of anybody in that proceeding - it's on the record.

Okay, fair enough. So, the article states that it's an acceptable term of endearment and not considered derogatory any longer? My apologies for not picking up on that.

If this were true, I don't think you'd have stirred the pot with your original posting on this subject.

I'll try to be more careful and let the assertions of others go unchallenged in future. Maybe in another lifetime.

Highly recommend you do that, especially for those topics that simply can't be challeneged or proven. Your challenge failed so, let's move on!! :cheers: :cheers:

Edited by MASTERPC

let's move on!! :cheers: :cheers:

so perhaps it's time we move on.

I love it when we see aye to aye, Cap'n. :) :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

Come on Artemis. I think you know as well as everyone else reading this that you're just being difficult.

I'm glad to see that you've evolved emotionally beyond the point of letting anything anyone says bother you, but for most of the rest of the population, if you use a derogatory term, you've got a good chance of offending someone from that demographic. Even if it wasn't directed specifically at them.

Head on over to Marigny and start yelling 'nigger'. Then, when you start getting dirty looks, try telling them all that THEY are in the wrong for getting offended. Let me know how that works out for you.

I've always respected you as a person, and as a fountain of knowledge, but this little discussion is ridiculous.

To go back to one of your points, I agree to some extent that words don't mean much, if taken at face value. Having lived in Spain for long enough to get used to their use of swear words as common conversation, I have no problem with them myself.

Does that mean that I shouldn't take into account that most other people in the US are much more bothered? Of course not. You always have to be cognizant of your audience. While I might not get offended if I hear someone say 'fuck', I need to recognize that lots of other people would, and I'd be irresponsible if I decided to teach my sons to use that word for the same reason.

Let's move on.

That's not a suggestion.

Let's move on.

That's not a suggestion.

Bully, (as TR would have exclaimed) mod approbation! :cheers:

Yeah, it's an internet forum, and we all love to argy bagy, but there are so many other topics, and maybe so little time.

It's not like any of us would enjoy this particular thread being closed, now would we? :rolleyes:

Driftwood Singularity Imperial Stout reprise.

It certainly made the latter part of this thread much more digestible.

Edited by Absomphe

Mmmm that's gotta be refreshing. Had to look that one up. Will pick some up next time I see Tuaca. Thanks!

I want that 20 minutes of my life back; I feel like I just got 50 IQ points sucked right out of my skull.

Language evolved specifically because words do have power, and any intelligent person that argues otherwise is being disingenuous. As was pointed out, context is everything. It's not the words themselves, but the conscious choice to use them as weapons.

I jokingly introduce my gay son as the "the fruit of my loins" but then, I know he knows I love him and I'm using ironic humor. But let me hear someone call him a fag, in derision, and then watch them get their ass handed to them by a crazy old fucker.

Fag, dyke, queer, nigga, pagan, republican. These slurs have been defiantly re-appropriated as terms of solidarity, true, but that's never taken them out of use as slurs by bigots. That said, I don't believe Miguel's intent was bigotry as much as it was a misguided attempt at off-color humor. From there it just turned into a bait-fest.

Now can we leave the politics behind and get back to the drinking?

Edit: Oh, I see we already have. Never mind then.

words do have power

Absolutely. But no power that is not lent by the listener. The deaf are never offended by speech. And those who can hear aren't Pavlov's dogs.

republican

How dare you? You've hurt my feelings!

:cheers:

Same here. On this absolutely FUN west coast conference call for work until 8PM EST.

:thumbdown:

You can't dump a little something in that water to spice it up? Whose gonna know? It's not like you're talking on a smelephone.

This is true and working from home means no driving. I like the way you think!

I sense a disturbance in the Force...or, maybe it was just a little gas.

After a day spent carving-up miles of fresh powder, total exhilaration only a few thousand feet from Kandahar Lodge, I trust someone will tell me if anything terribly important was said today. I'm still lost in the memory of snowboarding with Jules and The Punk. There is nothing else I could have done that would have made a better use of my time or given me more pleasure.

I have three new whiskeys to sip when I get home. :cheers:

*big chuckle*

I'm raiding to see what I can find. Tired of water. Abs, you're always a trend. :)

The sushi restaurant I picked for dinner has puerh, which isn't the best pairing with delicate fish, but it's still one of my favorites.

Somehow my water turned into wine. It topped 80 in The Lou today. Seemed as good a reasons of any to pop a cork.