DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I prefer a good brisk walk though the front door, to my favorite spot at Anvil

Once there, I begin an intense workout of bending my elbow.

I need to introduce myself to that joint.

A small glass of 2008 Vintage The Abyss.

I was lucky to find two botytles at the newly opened Bellingham bottle shop Elizabeth Station.

The flavors have married beautifully over the last 3+ years, and it tastes richer, and more sinfully decadent than ever.

Worth twice the price of the new stuff. :thumbup:

I've been called worse with cleverly worded statements. I find those more offensive, because their cleverness leaves no doubt about intention. I will be mindful not to use that term im the future, and to politely ask others not to use them.

On November 13, 2006, the Dykes on Bikes won the battle to trademark the name, having struggled since 2003 to persuade the PTO that "dyke" was not offensive to the lesbian community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dykes_on_Bikes

That is what I thought, but apparently things have changed in half a dozen years.

Drinking RAB Phoenixx ESB. Artemis, does Eric ever get you Real Ale Brewing beers? In the summer, their Rye Pale Ale is awesome.

Driftwood Old Cellar Dweller Barleywine.

It's difficult to believe that this malt/hop bomb is only 14% alcohol, and only 100 IBUs.

However, there's plenty of red, ripe fruitiness in there for balance, so it's definitely a :thumbup: .

Giving MoL another shot.

I suppose I expected someone delicate but she is more like a dominatrix with her flavor.

Subtle, and maybe delicate, but not wimpy. I don't think Cheryl does wimpy. I absolutely loved it. The subtle part might be the violet. that is subtle.

Something about it tells me it should have been the official beverage of the Aquarian Exposition by the Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, in the hamlet of Whitelake in the town of Bethel NY. Ok, so it missed it by some 40 years, but the vibe is all there.

Edited by Miguel

Miguel & Artemis,

Although the term dyke has been reclaimed by some groups of lesbians as a symbol of pride and empowerment, I assure you that calling a lesbian you do not know and who does not know you a dyke will not be received graciously in the majority of instances. Context and in-group vs out-group membership is key in determining the impact of your word choice in this case.

He was referring to your use of the term "dyke".

That is a slur?

On November 13, 2006, the Dykes on Bikes won the battle to trademark the name, having struggled since 2003 to persuade the PTO that "dyke" was not offensive to the lesbian community.

That is what I thought, but apparently things have changed in half a dozen years.

Miguel, I thought you had no idea that the term dyke was ever a slur. Now you seem to be saying you were aware of the word's changing meaning over time. I'm confused.

We share our love for women over here. There is so much beauty in a happy woman. Think about it, look back on any good time you have had and you will probably recall a smiling woman (or you were the smiling woman)

Look back on any time you found torturous, there was probably an angry or sad woman involved.

Goddess isn't reserved for heavenly bodies, they surround us.

I think ugly terms should be saved for people who are ugly in the heart.

:cheers:

(Too much booze on a Monday=philosophy)

Although the term dyke has been reclaimed by some groups of lesbians as a symbol of pride and empowerment, I assure you that calling a lesbian you do not know and who does not know you a dyke will not be received graciously in the majority of instances.

Miguel didn't call anyone a dyke, and neither did I. I provided a point of information that speaks for itself. Please don't try to read my mind and I'll offer you the same courtesy.

This batch is not subtle in the least.

Violet and wormwood just beat you upside the head.

Did you try to add more water?

(Too much booze on a Monday=philosophy)

It happens

Although the term dyke has been reclaimed by some groups of lesbians as a symbol of pride and empowerment, I assure you that calling a lesbian you do not know and who does not know you a dyke will not be received graciously in the majority of instances.

Miguel didn't call anyone a dyke, and neither did I. I provided a point of information that speaks for itself. Please don't try to read my mind and I'll offer you the same courtesy.

Artemis, Artemis. Tsk tsk tsk . I think you've missed the pirogue boat, bub. Scroll up to the beginning, work your way down and try to absorb again. That's not what she's saying here.

Miguel didn't call anyone a dyke, and neither did I.

This is an educational board meant for the public--not a place anyone should be using slurs, whether aimed at a specific individual or not.

I provided a point of information that speaks for itself.

No you did not. You are ignoring context. While some have elected to re-appropriate this offensive term, others have not. By posting this example you do not negate that it ever was offensive, nor do you "prove" that it's no longer a negative term to anyone.

I was clearing out somethings in the fridge and after getting rid of a Storm King, what to my wondering eyes did appear but a bottle of Westvleteren 12 with an 09.03.12 on the cap. This must be the last bottle in my possession so I'm enjoying it. Such a joyous find has led me to delve into a humidor and I've pulled out a Padron 1926 40 Yr. to go with it. Happiness is a dark Belgian and a great cigar.

Edited by techdiver

Miguel didn't call anyone a dyke,
Sure he did and even semi-demi-sort of apologized.
Slurs are uncalled for. Even if they are done in jest.

I refered to the missguided bartender as an idiot, because to dismiss quality hooch just because it's a bit different is silly.

He was referring to your use of the term "dyke".

My bad then,...
I will be mindful not to use that term in the future, and to politely ask others not to use them.

I also try to be mindful although I might not be polite when confronted by bigots. I also avoid using that word unless I am referring to a pair of diagonal wire cutters. If particular members of that group choose to use that word, I suppose they have privileges that I do not. I don't understand why my African American friends use the "N" word or why my female friends call each other by the "B" word. Perhaps they have privileges to derogatory names, too but I certainly do not. As Miguel said, I will be mindful and as I said, I will not castigate an entire group of humans by hurtful slurs. On this subject, we must all take the high road. Nothing else will do. :cheers:

:euro: :cheers:

A bit of The Frog here for me. I'm finding sugar cookies (perhaps understandably) go really nice with absinthe (unsugared, of course). :cheerz:

I'm jealous. Although I'll stick to being jealous separately. :)

Had cat eyes last night. CC will ship Wednesday so my drought has an end I'm sight.

I'm still waiting to see 1901 on CC's virtual shelves.

Joe, I didn't call anyone the D word. I was simply playing with the subroutine that plays with the laugh out loud acronym. It was pointed out to me, that while the term might be frequently used by lesbians, it still is offensive. I apologized, explained that it was out of ignorance and not malice, and removed the offensive language.

I didn't throw myself to the floor in remorse, because I made an honest mistake, and rectified it. I would have been more profuse with apologies if I had actually called someone that. I've already has my intelligence and character lampooned enough to feel insulted myself. Maybe this forum should be approached carefully by non native English speakers, because I'm tired of my words being dissected so as to prove I'm an idiotic caveman. I appreciate the jovial corrections, I learn from that, it's the snide remarks about my character that I find racist. Yes, racist.

I'm done being reserved and nice about this topic now:

Miguel, please. You are not the victim so stop trying to use words to make it seem like you are. Artemis came along, as if you're his bitch he needs to protect, posted some link, as if Wikipedia is the end all facts of everything and you came back with an ignorant response ("yeah, I thought so, but I guess things have changed in the last half dozen years"). That, right there, gave you away, as Doc kindly pointed out last night. You're dealng with a LOT of sharp razors on this site so please stop trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. Take it elsewhere. You'll get steamrolled while getting corrected. Don't dig yourself deeper than you already are.

The last sentence is the best advice I can give you. How you choose to use it is up to you.

:cheers: To MasterPC. Some words are offensive regardless of the context. I was only skimming this thread the other day and a fugly word was all I noticed and took a way from it. I don't give a monkey's ass if it's the funniest joke in the world, translated in parts due to it's lethality...don't repeat fugly words.

I'm tired of my words being dissected so as to prove I'm an idiotic caveman. It's the snide remarks about my character that I find racist. Yes, racist.

I'ma take the bait.

128976030940335778.jpg

Edited by baubel

*ignores last few pages*

I won't go that far, since from very salient observations have been made here, but, as much as I heartily concur with the good Doctor, the good Cap'n, BAUB et al, this discussion is bordering on political (although I know it should transcend that arena), so perhaps it's time we move on.

Edited by Absomphe

Miguel, instead of going "oh whoops, sorry" and moving on like the rest of us did (or at least tried to do), you keep bringing the incident back up in an attempt to salvage...I don't know what.

Believe me, if someone was behaving in a racist way towards you, someone would have been on it as quickly and as gently as they were with your comment. Keep in mind, no one has been harsh or mean to YOU, aside from pointing out (very nicely, I might add) that you might be offending people. If you're going to continue to try to argue your way out of a mistake on your part instead of accepting you messed up, people are going to become less gentle in your belligerence.

Racist? Really? I'd like to see any example where you feel you've been a victim of racism. I can tell you that if there was any evidence of racism, we wouldn't have been so polite with those people.

We politely corrected you on your word use (intentional, playful, or for whatever other reason), and tried to move on.

You don't need to get defensive. Let's just play nice.

Miguel didn't call anyone a dyke, and neither did I.

This is an educational board meant for the public--not a place anyone should be using slurs, whether aimed at a specific individual or not.

I provided a point of information that speaks for itself.

No you did not. You are ignoring context. While some have elected to re-appropriate this offensive term, others have not.

"No I did not"? I didn't what? I didn't provide a point of information?

It doesn't speak for itself? Maybe you shouldn't read so much into what you read!

Let's review:

Miguel posted a word.

Several people assured him (based upon nothing but their opinions) that the word was prima facie offensive.

I was confident that this wasn't the case, so I researched it and found the link I posted. The information provided in the link proves that the word is not offensive to all people in all cases. That's as far as it went for me.

By posting this example you do not negate that it ever was offensive, nor do you "prove" that it's no longer a negative term to anyone.

That's part of what I meant about trying to read my mind. I didn't attempt to do anything of the kind. Possibly you jumped to that conclusion because I linked my post to Miguel's rather than to one of those to which I referred in line two of the review above. In retrospect I shouldn't have quoted Miguel in my post, and should have linked to one of those other posts.

Edited by Artemis

Artemis came along, as if you're his bitch he needs to protect,

You can be my bitch too. Post some innocent drivel and get jumped on; maybe you'll get lucky. And believe me, I'm STILL being reserved and nice.

posted some link, as if Wikipedia is the end all facts of everything

You're dissembling, and if Wikipedia were a person, what you just did would be what's called an Ad Hominem argument. The point was made by the legal proceeding over the use of the word "dyke". I happened to find reference to that proceeding at Wikipedia. If Wikipedia was wrong about the facts in THAT CASE, feel free to reference a more accurate source.

And Miguel, I didn't see any racism toward you; no need to go there.

Edited by Artemis