DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Some rum drink at a philippino bar

There's a Filipino bar in NYC?!? How did we miss this? Given the rest of your post (sounds like you had a heck of a time) I don't suppose you recall the name of the place.

A friend let me taste her Herbsaint

Anyone else think this sounded kinda hot?

Anywoo...tonight...everything!

Tomorrow we must replenish the Leopold and I think I am going to buy some mephisto, it's cheap, why not?

It has the weakest louche I've ever seen.

Having a Billionaire Cocktail. I tweaked the "absinthe bitters" recipe the original creator included. I just can't leave well-enough alone.

Some Old Rasputin.

Sad, but had to sink a whole glass of MoL. I had run out of bottled water and filled my sports bottle with ice and tap water. Here in FL, that city water is really chlorinated extra well. One of the reasons I drink bottled water. Anyway, if you let the water sit a bit the smell and taste seems to evaporate. So I thought it would be fine. After the water had chilled I louched up a glass. When I went to to a smell test, I instantly knew something was afoul.

After getting the ratio I wanted I tasted it. Wow, absinthe with a very strong and lingering aftertaste of bleach/chlorine. Sad, but the sink got that one. I have learned my lesson well though.

Reminds me of 2001 New Orleans, louching a glass of Segarra with NOLA tap water....You don't want to know.

Tomorrow we must replenish the Leopold and I think I am going to buy some mephisto, it's cheap, why not?

If you blink you might miss it...tastes pretty weak, too. Kinda flat.

As for "tasting her Herbsaint", well, :shifty:

When I lived in Orlando the tap water was so sulfuric...absolutely nasty.

In Pensacola, where I am from, it is not so horrible. You'd think a state that is practically an earthen pool float with the water table would have good water.

Some rum drink at a philippino bar

There's a Filipino bar in NYC?!? How did we miss this? Given the rest of your post (sounds like you had a heck of a time) I don't suppose you recall the name of the place.

Yes, in fact it was so good we went back again tonight. Maharlika on 1st Ave and 7th Street, close to PDT, Death and Co, and Mayahuel. We tried to get into Mayahuel last night but it was closed for a private party, and tonight we just got stuck at Maharlika. Four of us drank and had apps at the bar for over two hours (even tried balut, not too bad) and the bartender wrote us up a check for $55. I gave him twice that, of course, and I still worry that I underpaid him... but we'll be back, which I know was his intention anyway.

Seriously, we are just good friends,

I didn't like the taste of her Herbsaint, anyway.

Hehe there's a Filipino disco near my apartment...the only problem is that most Filipinos here work like 14 hour days six days a week, so Sunday afternoon they all head to the disco in hopes that they can party hard all afternoon and still get a good nights sleep before work on Monday. The bar is literally only open on Sundays.

Having a pre-lunch Americano. Going to my favourite sushi restaurant! WOOO

Seriously, we are just good friends,

I didn't like the taste of her Herbsaint, anyway.

That's a shame but there are many senses one can use to enjoy Herbsaint besides taste so all is not lost.

Weaker than some of the "absinthe" at the RMGH last year? :puke: :laf:

Having some friends over for dinner & an Absinthe tasting tonight.I think it's gonna be Pacifique,Duplais,Ridge verte,& VP in that order.I really wanted to include Marteau,but I'm not breaking into my stash until it's back on the shelves again.Should be a fun night!

Got a small bottle of St. Germain today and some Pisco and some Leopold and some Mephisto (you guys can't tell me nothin')

Too bad we have to shop after the game so it will be probably 10:30 before I get to tastin'

:cheers:

Finishing off my last two glasses of Ridge (Dammit). Feel a little better having placed my order with CC for Pacifique, Vieux Pontarlier, and Duplais Verte. Then my wife caught me spending $200 on absinthe :blink: (Doh!) so quickly made reservations for a anniversary weekend getaway next weekend. Whew! close call, but back in her good graces. Yeah, i'm quick on my feet like that B)

Then my wife caught me spending $200 on absinthe :blink: (Doh!)

Yeah, that sort of thing has a negative effect on my consumption, as well! :laugh:

Tonight I'm alternating green and white, watching the Sabres/Canucks battle. :cheers:

Finishing off my last two glasses of Ridge (Dammit).
Stop by. I think I have a bottle around here somewhere. ;)

A glass of an excellent distiller's proto verte, a little something I threw together and...dinner?

I just made the most bastardous bastards of a concoction.

First a backstory.

I bought some Mephisto and don't hate it per se but it certainly is too cinnamony and not absinthey enough. I told Christy maybe a third Meph, a third Leopold and a third of a third would be good.

Christy then proceeds to put a third load of laundry in at 2am so now we are stuck being awake until damn-near 4am...well, what else to do but to try the franken-sinthe?

5 minutes of balancier action later we have a concoction that has leopold, mephisto, and meadow of love served up 4.5-1 with 30 degree water.

Taste...shake head...thank god it's not 5-1, that would take longer to drink.

:thumbdown:

Violet and cinnamon don't mix, next time maybe try something more neutral.

Maybe next time don't stay up until doing this sounds appropriate.

Mephisto of Leopold.

2.5 stars.

Tasting notes: Picture a garden and a box of cinnamon toast crunch having backdoor sex in a New Orleans alley.

Ridge verte. I think I should have added sugar to this glass...

If you blink you might miss it...tastes pretty weak, too. Kinda flat.

As for "tasting her Herbsaint", well, :shifty:

A coworker interrupted me from editing it down on my bomile device. :twitchsmile: I like that phrase though. I'll have to use it sometime, the reaction on people's faces ought to be interestin.