DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Alright, I'll bite. Vieux Carre? Blood & Sand? Seelbach? Monkey Gland? I'm turning into the Dr. Seuss of classic cocktails!

How about...

An Admiral Benbow

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Total Time: 2 minutes

Yield: 1 Drink

Ingredients:

2 oz Plymouth gin

1/2 oz lime juice

1 oz dry vermouth

maraschino cherry for garnish

Preparation:

Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass with several ice cubes.

Stir well.

Strain into a chilled old-fashioned glass filled with ice.

Garnish with the maraschino cherry.

You could try adding a dash of absinthe, but I think it might clash.

Edited by Absomphe

Chilling in Edmonton

You mean freezing? :twitchsmile:

UPS visited while I was at work, but luckily my painter was here and signed for me. Had my first ever taste of Obsello... love it. Then a St. George (gave the painter a St. George too). Still good. Next will be a Ridge V. Hey, it's Fat Tuesday. My fountain is loaded with crushed ice. I may just go for four. :cheers:

Edited by crow

The balance of this morning's Mephistopheles eye opener.

I can't think of a more apt liquid delight with which to celebrate today's long overdue deluge.

Yup, Batch #7 is even surpassing The Abyss for me. I can't imagine a 16 1/2%, 1135 OG, 107 IBU stout that I'd ever pick over this one. :twitchsmile: The flavor profile is insanely complex, but if I were to distill it down to its most salient characteristics, they would be Michel Cluizel Noir Infini 99% Cacao chocolate covered sour cherries soaked in rum and brandy, and then dry hopped. :dribble:

Kudos, Avery Brewing! :worshippy:

Edited by Absomphe

Homemade lemoncello. It came out really well, and I wanted to thank Bill and the others here who helped with great advice! Even a grumpy friend said he liked it more than any of the commercial stuff he buys. A bit more aging is due for the other 2 bottles before I open them however. Thanks again guys.

My cello is not going to see much age at all...it's about halfway gone already. Of course, I only made a tiny batch.

Blackspur, with Fernet Leopold and a twist of lemon. I love the St. Germain finish on these.

A friend let me taste her Herbsaint (she's from Nola, been drinking it for years). I didn't like it.

Chilling in Edmonton

You mean freezing? :twitchsmile:

Bunch of frozen Houstonians. :)

Had a local honey ale from Original Joe's. Meh, I'll be nice and say it was refreshing, and seemingly devoid of hops. Kinda devoid of much Malted Barely also, except for a lil honey roast, but even that was muted. Yup, refreshing like distilled water, or Fat Tire, are refreshing. :)

Edited by Miguel

before dinner, VC (still cant make myself like that stuff).

I must recant. Probably because of my inexperienced palate i didnt know how to take the VC. After reading in another thread about suspended particulate (or something like that) and how agitating it distributes it I held my bottle up to the light and yes, it was there. So, i swirled it a bit, poured a glass and Damn! What a difference! Yeah man good stuff indeed. I guess the peppermint or spearmint or whatevermint threw me off but i humbly bow to this delicious bottle of VC. That is all. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

p.s. my hats off to all those who work so hard to make true absinthe, make it available, and teach this dumn hillbilly a thing or two about it. Thank you WS

Edited by Songcatcher

A friend let me taste her Herbsaint (she's from Nola, been drinking it for years). I didn't like it.

Yup. I always feel like the outsider on this one. I dislike Herbsaint (sorry Gr'imp). Tried 'em. All versions, including vintage. Just not for me. But I get the question all the time- 'But, you like absinthe though?'

Yup. I do. A lot. I don't get their point.

I'm not a fan of Charteuse either (either style). Neither those, nor Herbsaint are absinthe.

I like ouzo. I know a lot of absinthe lovers who hate it. I'd never question why.

Started with Spirit of New Orleans Praline Pecan Liqueur on my Shrove Tuesday pancakes...and now that I'm stuffed with pancakes, it's time for a good digestif: Vieux Carre!

Happy Mardi Gras, y'all! :cheers:

Which version was it?

The "not anniversary" version (she said). That's all I know. Not the one with the orangey label.

Yup. I always feel like the outsider on this one. I dislike Herbsaint (sorry Gr'imp). Tried 'em. All versions, including vintage. Just not for me. But I get the question all the time- 'But, you like absinthe though?'

Yup. I do. A lot. I don't get their point.

I'm not a fan of Charteuse either (either style). Neither those, nor Herbsaint are absinthe.

I like ouzo. I know a lot of absinthe lovers who hate it. I'd never question why.

To me it had only a very vague similarity to absinthe, but was so much flatter in taste. Very much like Good N Plenty. Interestingly, this same friend liked the Czech Strong I let her taste.

And I wasn't crazy about the green Chartreuse either, but I hear it's good in hot chocolate so I'm going to give that a try.

Edited by crow