DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Sorry if I don't join a pity party for a grown adult that repeatedly made some piss poor choices, and had an overrated opinion of herself. Life and her fans were extremely nice to her, and she threw it in their faces. Multiple times. While it is sad to see stars doing this to themselves, especially the younger ones who have had horrible advice from greedy parents (Winehouse, spears, Lohan, the Jacksons, etc.), in the end they are adults blessed with success, who make a string of bad choices.

Plenty of hard working people, who have things go real bad for no fault of their own, to worry about those whose bad choices led to a bad end.

While I mostly agree with that, it completely overlooks the fact that while her drug use may have started out as a choice, it became an addiction. Not much choice once that happens.

But yeah, I won't be attending the pity party.

But yeah, I won't be attending the pity party because I'm drinking a can of Monster Absolutely Zero right now.

There! Fixed.

Just had a wonderful Ridge V in front of the fire. I turned a friend on to it last night and we're both getting ready to put in a double order at DUNY.

Old Rasputin Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. :dribble:

Beautiful pour, black as a moonless night, billowing off white/tan head, good lacing. Nose is bourbon, ginger, graham cracker, chocolate and roast coffee. Flavor is similar, with perhaps some cherry thrown into the mix. Not overly complex, but perfectly balanced.

It’s amazing how the bourbon has seved as bridge between the roast beginning and the hoppy finish of the original brew. This is definitely drier than a few other fine examples of the style, most notably Goose Island Bourbon County, and I think this is significantly better than that very fine brew. The mouthfeel is silky/creamy, but never too thick (or thin., and the finish is extremely long and very satisfying.

Does this stuff eclipse The Abyss? Well, it's not quite as thick and rich, but it has plenty of intense flavor, and the balance is better.

However, I think a better comparison can be made between ORBB and Ivan the Terrible, and as much as I love the latter, I'd pick the former ten times out of ten.

Edited by Absomphe

Uinta Labrynthe Black Ale.

Very chocolate-y, very oaky, kiwi jam, berries, mandarin orange, kumquat, gingerbread, black licorice, big roast, and piney citric hops.

Extremely syrupy, viscous mouthfeel, very sweet, but not cloying. A definite must try for imperial stout/black ale fans.

The biggest surprise for me was that this 13.2% heavyweight came out of Utah. :shock:

Edited by Absomphe

Thinking of springing for a bottle of the barrel aged Rasputin. After your description I am 99% committed now. Hard for me to rationalize spending that much for a bottle of beer though. We'll see.

For now, I'll enjoy a Fuller's London Pride.

Desert Rose dessert wine with homemade orange pound cake

After a ridiculously long Saturday I'm enjoying some Santa Fe Spirits apple brandy.

Dear God, that is good stuff. I wish I could get it here.

I wish it came in 750ml bottles. I try to go lightly on it but it's hard to do.

I had a large martini while ironing and now I'm sipping on batch #24 absinthe.

It is so cool that the Leopold bunch label their batches.

I haven't met Scott but Todd is quite a nice fellow that I could visit with for hours if we both had hours to visit.

Cheers!

I haven't met Scott but Todd is quite a nice fellow that I could visit with for hours if we both had hours to visit.

Same, only I've met Scott and not Todd. :laugh:

2009 North Coast Brewing Bourbon Barrel Aged Old Stock Ale.

Beautiful stuff. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to find its brandy barrel aged brother.

Honey Brown Ale

1995 Samichlaus, then a Westvleteren 12. Happy happy.

I've actually had that combo on the same day, as well, and had the same reaction. :cheers:

Last night it was Crooked Line's Labrynth again. Delicious.

Edited by Absomphe

A small glass of Laurelwood Cardinal Sin with brunch.

Perhaps the first American Quad I’ve sampled which captures that floral characteristic that the best Belgian Quads have. Spicy, earthy hops, candy sugar, and dry, tart semi-sour cherry that carries through the medium length finish. Drier than most Quads I’ve experienced, which is a welcome change. There is a definite somewhat tannic, vinous, oaky character in there, as well. The only slight detraction for me is an almost too light body, although, even this aspect is a nice deviation from the typically overly syrupy body of most quads. I could easily see sipping a bottle of this on a warm summer day, which is something I never thought I would say about an example of the style. :thumbup:

It happened again! Emptied the last dregs of my second bottle of Ridge (ordering another bottle tonight) and it was dark green and murky and tasted UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS! Can't they bottle this stuff? Um, I mean... can't they bottle the dregs of the bottles of this stuff? Or... something like that. :thumbup: