DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I prefer animals to people, mostly. When I was a teenager, my dream was to join the Rainbow Warrior, the Greenpeace boat that rammed whaling ships. Unfortunately, it got rammed back and sunk. (sigh)

Today, I have been working at home, sick (lost my voice completely - to the joy of my beloved), and really have no alternative but to drink this Amer. For medicinal purposes, of course.

sick (lost my voice completely - to the joy of my beloved),

About 5 years ago my wife came down with a vicious illness,

as she recovered she lost her voice for nearly six weeks,

that was bliss...

Edited by Grey Boy

I sincerely apologize that we share a beautiful space on earth with a few idiots. It is saddening and frustrating. If someone had called Fish, Wildlife, and Parks in the first place that animal would not have suffered and may even still be alive and on its way to a more hospitable place. Or it may have ended up in someone's BBQ. None the less it would have been a better way to go. Ah, the world.

Anyway, back to drinking. A nice zin with dinner. Now I need to decide which of my gifts to sample. Decisions, decisions. :devil:

So, is it just me, or is the Kallnacher blanche acceptable, but no more special than the average arak . . . and the Ike blanche, the same with an earthiness to it?

I gotta say . . . $167 for this?

Foster's. I did some light shopping today. a 12-pack of Foster's was the same price as a 12 of Miller Light.

You know what Monty Python says about American beer:

Fucking too close to water.

Oh, and don't fuck in a canoe, either....

So, is it just me, or is the Kallnacher blanche acceptable, but no more special than the average arak . . . and the Ike blanche, the same with an earthiness to it?

I gotta say . . . $167 for this?

Indeed,TAZ, the Kall seems too light to me, havent done the WhiteIke yet...

My feelings, too. I think the Kübler or Elixir du Pays des Fées (Same amount and price) is a better choice. The Kallnacher is very drinkable but not as good IMHO.

I haven't tried the Ike Blanche, either.

I first went for some of the Aalborg Jubileum that I had in stock, which is ok. Not great, but not bad either.

Then decided to partake in both the Skvattram and the Skane, which I had found a few days earlier hiding on my doorstep. Both are unbelievable! The Skane is very clean and fresh with hints of fennel. The Skvattram is different in a very good way. It has a very flowery nose and refreshing light flavor. They are totally different from each other, but I appreciate them both!

If forced to choose between the two, I would lean towards the Skvattram because it's such a unique flavor. Perfect on a hot day, like we'e had recently. It reminds me of walking through an alpine meadow with all of the mountain flower scents in the cool air. That smell (and feel) is what it tastes like.

I'm having a couple of white ones after starting to clean the basement today and getting the coal room set-up to be restocked for next winter. Very black work.

If forced to choose between the two, I would lean towards the Skvattram because it's such a unique flavor. Perfect on a hot day, like we'e had recently. It reminds me of walking through an alpine meadow with all of the mountain flower scents in the cool air. That smell (and feel) is what it tastes like.
Glad to hear that. The Skåne sample was from the commercial brand, but the skvattram is 100 % homemade (just like the bog myrtle extract). :)

As a parenthesis I can mention that there is a funny little similarity between aquavit made from the skvattram bush, and absinthe – in former times it was believed that skvattram made you go crazy. The famous 18th century botanist Carl von Linné claimed that it "yields an extremely terrible headache". It was also said that male mooses used to graze on it to get inebriated, and that it helped to "increase the temper and ferocity for a moose on heat"...

I take a different view on Linné's statement, which I know is false; concerning the effect on mooses I have no comment though.

It was also said that male mooses used to graze on it to get inebriated, and that it helped to "increase the temper and ferocity for a moose on heat"...

I'll let you know how I feel when I finish it up. :P

It was also said that male mooses used to graze on it to get inebriated, and that it helped to "increase the temper and ferocity for a moose on heat"...

I'll let you know how I feel when I finish it up. :P

Funny, I never thought of you as a moose. :devil:

Pensieve and I finally get a green hour tonight since the kids are off to their Grandparents for an overnight. It has been too long. Anyway, we decided to do a little Absinthe missionary work and invite a couple of wormwood virgins over for a tasting. They know absolutely nothing about it, have never even heard of Absinthe, and I am curious what they will think.

We are serving Verte Suisse, Edouard, Kübler, and FG.

So Shai, can you confirm that the Sea Monkey issue with the VS has been resolved? (it was well over a year ago, so I'm sure it has)

I think it has. You know I missed the initial sea monkeys thing but had Hiram explain it to me last year. If I remember correctly it was a strange sediment issue with the initial samples.

I have the June 2005 bottling and there is no more sediment in it than in my bottle of Edouard and never anything noticable in the glass. I chewed my way through the last glass from the distillar's proof (not an unpleasant experience) and this is nothing like that.

Good to hear, thanks!

Yes, it was a problem with the first full-label run, which apparently was actually still a distiller's proof. Glad it's been fixed; the first distiller's proof run was a wonderful thing, if memory serves!

Shai, I just toyed with the idea of taking your quote out of context and then thought better of it.

Anyway, hope the virgins are pleased with your cold dripped libations.

. . . and you get to train them from scratch, too! No need to brainwash re-educate them to purge the misinformation from the media!

Having a second glass of VdF right now. The first one made we wonder why I ordered a full bottle of it, but I think that has to do with the fact that I've sold my soul to the Duplais God recently. Many vertes fades in comparison (and the Duplais blanche is just as yummy).

Anyhow, soon finishing the second glass I change my mind and realize that the VdF isn't all bad, actually it is rather good for what it is. Every absinthe has it's own charasteristic, one has to take it for what it is.

Watching funny dogs on Animal Planet. Makes me a little sentimental, coming to think that today it is exactly twelve years since I had to put my 13 yrs old golden retriever to sleep. *sigh*

Cheers.

Utmost sympathy over the memory of your pooch, Mindshifter. The vet was here today and informed us our dog's heart ain't what it should be. All in keeping with the many problems she's had since her first year. I've grown extraordinarily fond of her, even while trying to keep an emotional distance because her health problems have always seemed insurmountable. Unfortunately, you can't distance yourself from members of the family. And problems only draw you closer.

Time wounds all heels.

I raise a toast to your departed. :cheers: