DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

It kinda feels like one of those nights I'm going to ponder what I'm going to drink all night and never actually decide, although right now it's between a margarita, whatever a glass of mango lemonade and tequila would be, or a glass of Eddy.

It is decided! I went with a MargaDita (subbing limeade and Leopold's Orange Liqueur) along with a salt and habanero sugar rim. :devil:

It's pretty and pink. :wub:

Thanks for the advice on the Chartreuse everyone. Because I don't know any bars up here that have any absinthe, I think I'll take the gamble and get the green first and see what I think of it. I'll test it out with some of my new gear... :yahoo:

glassandothers.gif

Sweetened with plum juice?

Nope, the taste of Pacifique moves me very deeply with no additives, whatsoever.

Now, for a glass of Ridge, which is also very moving.

Having a Sazerac made with Old Overholt and Ridge Verte, I am getting real close to having this where I want it, going to have to pick up a bottle of Sazerac Rye next week I think

I tried some experiments last night. Rosehip and hibiscus tea with Serpis, and then Chamomile tea with some Ridge Blanche. They weren't bad, but needed some work.

I tried some experiments last night. Rosehip and hibiscus tea with Serpis, and then Chamomile tea with some Ridge Blanche. They weren't bad, but needed some work.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who performs wild experiments that turn out mediocre.

I'm moving on to a glass of what little I have left of my Obsello. It's very, very different from how I remember the beginning of the bottle...but it's nice.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who performs wild experiments that turn out mediocre.

I'm moving on to a glass of what little I have left of my Obsello. It's very, very different from how I remember the beginning of the bottle...but it's nice.

I don't experiment as often as I probably should. Too busy goofing off.

Absinthe Ordinaire.

I stopped having the good stuff shipped from across The Pond.

Too rich for my budget, so i settle for what's on the local shelves.

I really do not care for Lucid at all. At least I convinced the local purveyor to get rid of the Absente.

Today they just got in Absinthe Ordinaire. This one's not mentioned in The Reviews, so I just had to try it.

I rather like it a lot. Good sweet - peppery pre-louche aroma and it retains that character post-louche.

Nice opalescent bloom when the icewater goes in. i don't usually use sugar.

The aftertaste is tingly and I can feel the oiliness of the botanicals, which I like.

Have you tried it?

The Rebel Yell isn't rye, but I am returning to the liquor store tomorrow to stock up on various items and am picking up some rye (Bulleit) and will definitely give that a shot.

Whenever I can mix numerous high proof boozes in to one glorious drink I am happy.

I picked up a bottle of Saskatchewan Rye last time I was in Thunder Bay and I liked that a lot.

Ever tried that?

Tonight I had a glass of Walton Waters (amazing stuff!!) and a couple lessers that I have been trying to get rid of (rather not reveal the names and my lack of experience here hehe). The Walton Waters is really great stuff. I also have a new bottle of Vieux Pontarlier and Pacifique that I have been enjoying. Actually had those last night :thumbup:

I've tried Meadow of Love and Walton Waters and I loved them both.

Dakini really does a lovely job in her craft.

Absinthe Ordinaire.

I really do not care for Lucid at all. At least I convinced the local purveyor to get rid of the Absente.

Today they just got in Absinthe Ordinaire. This one's not mentioned in The Reviews, so I just had to try it.

I rather like it a lot. Good sweet - peppery pre-louche aroma and it retains that character post-louche.

The aftertaste is tingly and I can feel the oiliness of the botanicals, which I like.

Have you tried it?

Absinthe Ordinaire is a Liqueur with artificial coloring that is made by Absente LLC, and imported by Crillion.

I was given a bottle as a gift last year but thankfully returned it with a gift receipt and got some other stuff instead.

So you keep saying, and I truly believe you, Scott.

However, every time I'm about ready to order a bottle, I keep reminding myself of the multiple bottles of Pacifique or Ridge Verte that I can enjoy for a bit less than half the price of a single bottle Sauvage, and my finger just obstinately refuses to do the requisite clicking. :pirate:

Boulevard Saison Brett today.

Much more character than their standard Saison. Lots of lacto/barnyard funk, coriander, orange peel, watercress, and enough black pepper to rival any of the Fantomes. Really lengthy and excellent finish. I'd probably choose this over most of the Fantomes, in fact, onacuz there's a better balance, with just as much flavor, and it doesn't require months of resting (yeast settling) before it's drinkable.

Edited by Absomphe

Having never had a 'super extra premium euro absinthe' (although the L'Artisanale sure was as nice as anything out there), I wanted to have this 'super duper extra premium euro absinthe' to have as a point of reference. And because it sounds tasty.

Itwill be difficult to justify $$$ absinthes of any origin after this, unless I get a huge raise.

Absinthe Ordinaire.

Have you tried it?

Absinthe Ordinaire is a Liqueur with artificial coloring that is made by Absente LLC, and imported by Crillion.

I was given a bottle as a gift last year but thankfully returned it with a gift receipt and got some other stuff instead.

Yeah well okay thanks. So what you're saying is you have no idea what it tastes like.

I don't know anything about absinthe. I've only tried 20 different kinds or so.

I've never had it, but Evan is right, it is not absinthe, but a liqueur. It even says this on their website.

This doesn't mean it doesn't taste like absinthe, and that some folks will enjoy it, but it is in the same genre as Pernot, and Grande Absente, as long as it is pre-sweetened...It may be much tastier, but I wouldn't know. For my money, if you want absinthe, why buy a liqueur when you can get VP, Pacifique, Vieux Carre and others at such a good price in the US?

Not judging, just askin'

I've never had it, but Evan is right, it is not absinthe, but a liqueur. It even says this on their website.

This doesn't mean it doesn't taste like absinthe, and that some folks will enjoy it, but it is in the same genre as Pernot, and Grande Absente, as long as it is pre-sweetened...It may be much tastier, but I wouldn't know. For my money, if you want absinthe, why buy a liqueur when you can get VP, Pacifique, Vieux Carre and others at such a good price in the US?

Not judging, just askin'

Yeah, I know you're both right. I just grabbed it to try it, not knowing anything about it or what to expect.

Hey man, I gotta buzz off it and it's Friday night, so what's not to 420 love?

Seriously i prefer the authentic experience. I may never afford 100+ year old abs from dusty bottles,

but I highly respect the opinions of the owners of palates who have been so supremely fortunate to have

partaken of such exotic elixir. Like PF 1901.

Long week, long day, starting the weekend off with a Sazerac made with Vieux Carre & Old Overholt, not sure how authentic mine are,might have too much bitters, but I like them :cheers:

Arsenic & Old Lace, with Plymouth gin. Slooowly making my way through this bottle of R&W creme de violette, need to finish it so I can try a bottle of the Tempus Fugit.