DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

...would you like to borrow my KY??

You know, just to get things moving. ;)

Thanks, Hed.

I really appreciate the offer, butt a little pain is sometimes good for the soul. :twitchsmile:

"Flemish Sour Ale", three of my favorite words.

A Leopold Bros. rye Sazerac for me tonight. Good thing I made a double, because my wife took half of it.

I just opened a bottle that I thought was some (other) Deschutes beer. :twitchsmile: Nope! The Abyss! :shifty:

Ha! Like I didn't really know. Mmmmm, tasty!

Edited by LeRoy

HA! Looks like I skipped a word. Fixed!

People around here don't even drink the high dollar Coors beer. They go for the lower end of the line. Keystone... :puke:

Over here it's butt lite chelada and high voltage. :poop:

Most days, I'm surprised there are any local breweries here at all.

Methinks I'll pick up a discounted bottle 'o absinthe this evening and save the big bucks for several bottles of good stuff later on. Perhaps my state's soul blanche offering...

Oh wait...shit. I swore not to buy Swiss other than Matter. Has this whole Swiss business been solved? I haven't read up in a while...

I just louched a glass of La Grenouille. :yahoo:

First impressions: It's very much like the prototype, except with a creamier louche, which is very welcome.

It has that L'Italienne type of perfume, but with a much rounder profile including mallow, lilac, almost a jasmine quality, and a very dry woodiness that is mitigated by a substantial dose of candied anise. As it coats the palate, a subtle underpinning of citrus also reveals itself. There is very ample wormwood in the finish, and it tastes like the same Italian varietal that Stefano used in the L'Italienne distillations, which is very fragrant, but not quite as assertive as the splendid Pontarlier strain found in Berthe de Joux.

The color is a beautifully natural golden green (neat), and when louched there are lovely underpinnings of blue and copper, as well

The nose (neat) is redolent of anise (more licorice-y than I expected, but after louching, a remarkably complex and nearly room filling perfuminess blossoms.

The louche (I opted for a 4:1 ratio (which seems ideal in this case) is extremely gradual and lovely...not exactly billowing clouds and rolling fog banks, but pretty darn close, just not as turbid. There is a fine opalescence when La Grenouille is fully louched.

The flavor is not as austere as that of L'Italienne, but I could see drinkers who do not generally add sugar making an exception here, as it would probably round out the intense flavors a bit.

I am, of course, enamored of this Stefano masterpiece sans sucre, particularly the finish, which is delightfully long and fragrantly dry.

La Grenouille is a marvelous absinthe paradox, being at once a beverage of great complexity, delicacy, and finesse, and yet also powerfully flavored and direct, immediate, and vibrant. This is a feat that few modern distillers could achieve, and definitely speaks volumes for Stefano Rossoni's liquid poetic artistry.

So much for Czech absinthe never having a shot at the top echelon.

Thanks.

I guess it was okay. :)

As soon as it's available for review, (paging Brian) I'll be happy to reflect its okayness with numbers, as well.. :cheers:

Montes Alpha Syrah. Pairs well with collards. The acidity of the wine cuts right through the pig grease. :devil:

I'm channeling maternal ancestors tonight. We can rail against our past but at our weakest moments...

A glass of Ridge.

I must have had 6 glasses last night, stretched out until 2am, and that was the sweetest buzz I've had in quite some time.

No doubt there will be Ridge in the house from now for as long as I can get it. :heart:

:cheers:

Before I dig into my shepherds pie, Jade NO. I find that bottles which are moved from my absinthe stash to my regular liquor cabinet tend to disapear faster. Time for a rotation I think. With my meal perhaps some Moose Drool. Afterwards 1554 an enlightened black ale me thinks.