DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Tonight I will be having another glass of my Absinthe. It is one of the many bottles I will be trying on the road to Absinthe Enlightenment. Other than that, I will probably have 16 yr old Glenmorangie.

Oh It is a homemade recipe. A derivative from a recipe going back to the 1800's although I am trying to get the perfect ratio of essential herbs to make the perfect one. Still got a ways to go, but one bottle at a time we will get there. :thumbup: So what brand of absinthe do you find favorable on the shelves? I am needing to find a good testing group.

Edited by Brewmaster

Ahh, there is nothing better after 16 hours of work/demolition to have a nice hot shower and a glass of Absinthe to wind down.. I can see now why Absinthe was the working mans friend in the 19th century. (and now the 21st century for that matter) I am drinking my own concoction macerated in 150% spirits 4.5:1 in a brandy sniffer. Don't ask me why I am not using a pontarlier, because I don't even know myself right now. Come on weekend! :thumbup:

I am drinking my own concoction macerated in 150% spirits 4.5:1 in a brandy sniffer.

150 proof you mean?

By the way, macerated absinthes are about as close to real absinthe as grape juice is to wine. Just stick to the distilled stuff. You'll thank me later. :)

You are quite correct! I was pretty tired last night, and just about finished my large glass as I was writing that little excerpt. I definitely agree with you on the distilled stuff being superior, but the macerated stuff is all I have right now. I am itching to get a bottle of Le Clandestine, or a nice verte. What is your preferred verte?

I am drinking my own concoction macerated in 150% spirits 4.5:1 in a brandy sniffer.

150 proof you mean?

By the way, macerated absinthes are about as close to real absinthe as grape juice is to wine. Just stick to the distilled stuff. You'll thank me later. :)

Edited by Brewmaster

A generous degustation pack from a friend. Kiwi wine, portwein, limoncello, raspberry liqueur flavoured with wormwood, lemon, chilli and honey and some others. A feast. I am looking forward to getting a package from Switzerland, posted in Pontarlier-that shall be a FEAST. Cheers.

Currently my favored vertes that are easily obtainable are Pacifique, butterfly, vieuw pontralier, and the much harder to find Marteau. I also really love the Duplais offerings. There are plenty other wonderful vertes out there but these are the ones i currently have in my possession and have been enjoying recently.

Having only tried three different vertes I'll tell you my #1 & #2 choices are Leopold Bros & Pacifique and very close in preference.

I've heard good things about all of those m.a. and they're all on my "wish list" for future purchases.

Boggy: nice care package :thumbup: I didn't know the meaning of "degustation" prior. I enjoy the culture by osmosis I get here.

Degustation sounds more culture-driven than libation, ain't it :wave2: ? I am now on another degustation package that came Monday-it contains sloe liqueur, banana liqueur filtered by sour cream, dry strawberry, ratafia and more less known and kinda idiosyncratic stuff and my absolute favourite: wiśniówka of 1989.

The favourite verte right now remains Butterfly.

Edited by Boggy

The favourite verte right now remains Butterfly.

Then re-score it a 4.9 so the BdJ's score doesn't make you look like a liar. :harhar:

They are equally good, sometimes I like one better, sometimes I like the other better. Cannot decide. Mind you, they are like fire and water.

Thanks for the insight everyone, I will be getting one of those real soon. The local spirit shops around here carry skimpy amounts of absinthe, but every once in a while you find a jewel in the rough. :cheers: