DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I have not had then newer "old recipe" version of herbsaint but the lower proof version that I do have isn't so great. I wouldn't call it an absinthe substitute, just an anise liqueur and I personally prefer sambuca over it.

The new Herbsaint Original is very different from the traditional Herbsaint--it's not just a higher-proof version of the same. It's made according to the original 1930s formula for the product and was definitely originally intended as an absinthe subsitute. It's also damn tasty. I don't find myself using a traditional drip preparation with it often, but it makes a killer addition to any cocktail calling for absinthe or an absinthe substitute. A fine product.

There's an impish guy somewhere around here who could tell you more...

America started rivaling the French wine industry in the 70's and now we are rivaling the French absinthe industry! All these absinthes are just so good :thumbup: Seems like American distillers are putting so much love and devotion into their products. Ill have another glass of Pacifique to salute you all. :cheers:

But I think I'll have a glass of Pacifique with you on top of it. :)

It would certainly float, but it might be a strange combination, depending on the tea, of course. :laugh:

I have not had then newer "old recipe" version of herbsaint but the lower proof version that I do have isn't so great. I wouldn't call it an absinthe substitute, just an anise liqueur and I personally prefer sambuca over it.

The new Herbsaint Original is very different from the traditional Herbsaint--it's not just a higher-proof version of the same. It's made according to the original 1930s formula for the product and was definitely originally intended as an absinthe substitute. It's also damn tasty. I don't find myself using a traditional drip preparation with it often, but it makes a killer addition to any cocktail calling for absinthe or an absinthe substitute. A fine product.

There's an impish guy somewhere around here who could tell you more...

The Herbsaint Original tastes like vintage Herbsaint, it's far different from the contemporary version.

Sazerac had the foresight to save Marion Legendre's recipe, and detailed instructions in their vault, they had an unnamed collector supply a still green 1940s Herbsaint mini for flavor profile comparison.

Reportedly, the mini,minus half it's contents is back in the hands of the unnamed collector.

I know of another gin you can use to make a fine martini. ;)
Thanks, man. I think so too but...

As you well know, variety is a wonderful thing. Jules and I built Silvertip as something we particularly enjoy however, other gin (or absinthe other than my own) is fantastic. It is no secret that I am a big fan of Pacifique, Marteau, Leopold, etc... Likewise, I really dig Voyager, Leopold's Small Batch Gin and of course, Plymouth.

How terrible to only have one gin or absinthe or rye or beer or...

...mistress?

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Jk.

Ridge Verte. x2. So balanced. So clean. So nice. :cheers: :pirate:

Old Rasputin.

I love that stuff, But I will go one better...

000_0866.jpg

I have been thinking about drinking the last bottle of the four I was able to procure. This stuff drinks more like a wine than a beer.

Edited by dillon

Old Rasputin.

I love that stuff, But I will go one better...

000_0866.jpg

I have been thinking about drinking the last bottle of the four I was able to procure. This stuff drinks more like a wine than a beer.

I remember it well, (the 1999 vintage) and thought it was excellent, and certainly heavier than Old Rasputin, but not as balanced overall.