DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I just got done cracking the cask filled with 3 gallons of Trident cocktail that I've been aging for 5 weeks. Used a Tuthilltown cask that was used to age their 4 grain whiskey.

Made an aged one up and made up a fresh one as well to compare.

Man, these both are good drinks, but aging it in the barrel just adds such a depth of flavor and roundness that the fresh one doesn't have.

If anyone wants to try some, shoot me a note. I've got more than I'll ever be able to drink.

I thought you were going to turn the cask upright and just use a straw! Bill may have a straw you can use.

Some Calaveras County wine at the AWESOME Mineral Restaurant with my vegetarian meal. GASP I know ... but they do it right and it's quite good. They're featured in the newest issue of Mutineer as well.

Now I'm back home and working on some awesome 2009 Founders Breakfast Stout .... then bourbon me thinks.

I know I have some good gin around here some place.
Cheap gin and tonic here, as well!
I don't believe either one of you! :laugh:

I got rid of some excellent gin yesterday. Didn't even open either bottle. Oh well.

Sipping a variation of an Arsenic and Old Lace. I swapped out the vermouth with sherry. The color wasn't the same, gave it a dark rain cloud/smokey black color. I don't know if I like the flavor more than with vermouth, but it wasn't bad. I'll try it again sometime.

mmm ... 2008 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. This smells amazing.

Tastes amazing, too, but yet it's too bourbony, and a little too sweet, hot and sticky overall.*

* Don't even go there, BAUB. :laugh:

I don't agree on it being too bourbony, at least with 2 years age on it it had died down. Fresh, it is definitely pretty hot. Sweet and sticky too, but it's a nice sipper.

As it turns out there has been a package waiting for me at the post office since last Wednesday while I was in Disneyland so tonight it will be some BDJ and/or Butterfly and maybe some Duplais balance and verte. :cheers:

but now Odie has got me wanting some really good micro brew. Perhaps I will stop by the Bevmo and pick up something new to have for, erm I mean with lunch. ;)

haha yes!!

Not sure where you're located, but I'm assuming California cause of BevMo. If you're lucky, you might be able to find a Firestone Walker 14th anniversary at BevMo. Not cheap at around $19 for a 22ounce bottle, but it's amazing!

BDJ, now thats a tasty pour :thumbup: A definite must try for everyone. It stirs up fond memories of vieux Pontrarlier to me.

Edited by m.a.mccullough

Butterfly, superb! A most welcome addition to my favorite absinthes list. It is more a dead leaf brown then an inviting absinthe green but its a wonderful expression, i would describe it as a mellower "perfumed" version of L'Itallienne.

EDIT: Turns out the Butterfly is a beautiful perridot green, the rooms lighting was misleading when I drank it before.

Edited by m.a.mccullough

4 glasses in, the Duplais verte and balance are both wonderful, but i still can't get over the wonderfulness of Butterfly. Time for some buffalo wings and seasoned fries I think. :biggrin: