DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

"Kudos on the decent price. It's about $75 here in town." its the same price around here as well, except the distillery itself is now selling it cheaper then everyone else. Glad its growing on you baubel, it is very different but very good in my opinion when you give it a fair chance IMHO

Port Brewing Older Viscosity.

This marvelous creation is like the perfect bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout/Rochefort 10-like hybrid...huge in every aspect, and absolutely savory, with a lot of bourbony esters, and yet never overwhelmingly bourbony, maintaining a beautiful balance of roastiness, dark fruits, tobacco, soy sauce (almost accompanied by a meatiness similar to Dark Lord's) and bitter chocolate all the way to the voluptuous finish.

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Jack and Ken's Barleywine Style Ale.

Great syrupy body,extremely complex with esters of caramel, raisin, fig/date/prune, plum, cherry, pecan pralines, tobacco, smoke, wood, pepper, and a bit of citric underpinning with a very nice interwoven malt/hop finish that is very long. There are even hints of amaretto liqueur thrown into the mix, and the balance is quite good. A little rough around the edges, but this one should really age well.

Cranberry mead, RSB #3 and a vessel of Marie Duffau old stuff Armagnac.

A long day that's winding down nicely.........Good night all.

Peace

Sure you can. I can't read or speak French so how in the hell could I type it? Hehehe

I could have put a redneck twist on it but I certainly wouldn't want to ruffle a feather or three. ;)

:cheers:

Gin and tonic. Nothing to get excited about.......just needed to get my whistle wet.

I know, I left it wide open.......go ahead and have a ball. ;)

Well... not exactly drinking. Taking the promo blurb on Un Sapin Liqueur to heart, I'm trying it over some Haagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream. I was having a time, in advance, wrapping my head around this one, but I gotta say those Pontarlierians got it going on with this one!

A 5:1 Perroquet...again.

Tastes just like candy.

I couldn't agree more. It's beautifully balanced, and at that ratio, is right in the zone. :cheers:

Right? Unbelievable stuff. :cheerz:

While we're on the subject, I've mentioned the "sweetness" I've noticed in this absinthe; I find it in the aroma, the flavor, and the aftertaste. It's starting to remind me of baby powder - is that the "talc-y" quality I've read about in other absinthes?

I'm not a distiller, and less than an expert on this, however it is my belief that the impression you describe is probably the combination of the anise (mellowed by the fennel) and the hyssop. My understanding is that the hyssop is responsible for that talc-y quality, about which you speak (and it's one that really turns me on!). In the right hands they combine to create the impression of confectioner's sugar. The Delaware Phoenix absinthes also display this quality, especially the Walton Waters. While not actual sweetness (sugar content), the impression in the Perroquet is so profound that I can't imagine ever sugaring that one (although I don't sugar my absinthes, at all). To echo a former post I read about it, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more flap about this one, especially considering all the hoopla about LBdJ. Now I'm a BIG fan of LBdJ, as well, but this Perroquet is a much more classically balanced offering, in my opinion.

"The Delaware Phoenix absinthes also display this quality, especially the Walton Waters."

I always noticed more in the Meadow of Love, and I've definitely attributed it to good quality hyssop.

I perceive more hyssop (talc-y impression) in the Meadow Of Love, as well. I perceive more "confectioner's sugar" in the Walton Waters, and it is my belief that it is because the hyssop is a little less forward, and more balanced with the anise and fennel. :tongue: