DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Been watching Clerks, have you?

Yeah, it was only four in a row, not 37, so I thought it wouldn't do any more damage to my already blackened reputation. :devil:

The new amsterdam gin has a strange mellow vanilla taste to me rather than the sharp juniper citrus taste that has a little bit to it ive come to love in gin, especially in a martini. Whats your take on it Butch?

Yeah, I caught the vanilla too. Almost a little to much, the citrus seems to come through at the end.

For the price you really can't beat it. Good for those nights when having more then seven. Calling Abs!

:cheers:

Edited by Butch Onufrak

Didn't know anything about how it was made, and I've not actually had it yet. Was just asking, as those flavors were described to me as tailsy in a different gin.

Is it compounded as in using essences, or compounded as in combining individual distillates of different herbs?

Didn't know anything about how it was made, and I've not actually had it yet. Was just asking, as those flavors were described to me as tailsy in a different gin.

Is it compounded as in using essences, or compounded as in combining individual distillates of different herbs?

If it is compounded gin, then I would guess that it is compounded from essences. I've never heard, or know of, any gin that is a combination of individual distillates (except for maybe Leopolds?). I would also guess that most gins, here in the USA, that are retailed below $20 are compounded. If a gin is truly distilled from botanicals, the TTB allows the claim of "distillled gin" to be placed on the front label. Do not confuse the "distilled gin" on the label with the weasel wording of "distilled 7x" or some such marketing nonsense. The wording "distilled 7X, or 5X, etc do not indicate that the gin was distilled with botanicals.

Compounded means that you get the flavors/aromas from any method other than alcoholic distillation. A rather big tent.

So far as I'm aware, we make the only Gin that's distilled fractionally. But that doesn't mean that there aren't others out there.

I just had a full sample of Voyager for the first time last week, Marc. Bravo. Beautiful, beautiful work, my friend. I had a Gibson with it. It was wonderful.

"Tailsy" refers to the off flavors that come from pushing and collecting the distillation to far.

Thanks Marc - so the "tail-end" of the distillation, I imagine.

How are those off-flavors described? Vanilla-ish? Any other markers?

If a gin is truly distilled from botanicals, the TTB allows the claim of "distillled gin" to be placed on the front label.

I assumed the class/type of "London Dry Distilled Gin" actually meant it was distilled. Go figure. Now I see the front label says, "Quality Blend." :g:

Absinthe from the Heartland.

Absinthe from Northwest Montana.

Martinis!

Gran Classico Bitters

Genepi experiments with Bill & Jules.

<---Not bored.

YEEEE, HAAAA! :cheerz: I wouldn't be either.

For my part, a Flying Dog Gonzo a minute ago, now a 5:1 Perroquet, with a 72% chocolate bar on deck.

Well seeing how the hanger one distillery is offering its verte for $60 a bottle I guess i just may have to pick up a bottle of st george though I am far from being out of my current absinthe stock.

I can't deny that it is one of the weirdest vertes I've tried. Although I didn't like it at first, it has been growing on me as of late.

Kudos on the decent price. It's about $75 here in town. :twitchsmile:

Edited by baubel