DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Next time you get a hankerin' for some ginger beer and don't want to go through all the work of fermenting your own, try this recipe for Audrey Saunder's homemade non-carbonated ginger beer. Super easy. And while you're at it, try that recipe for the Gin-Gin Mule and this recipe for the Jamaican Firefly, which is inspired by the Dark n' Stormy but is even better IMO. (Looks like Robert's website is having security issues at the moment; you'll have to try back later for the JF recipe.)

Thanks for the heads up!

Have you tried this recipe for the ginger beer? Does it work well with a soda siphon, or carbonation? I found Jeff's to be heavy on the ginger component when you choose the siphon over the yeast.

Typically the drinks I use the Saunders ginger beer in specifically call for non-carbonated gb, so I don't usually add soda. (I also cut down on the recipe by about a quarter so I don't end up with gallons of the stuff.) I tried adding soda to it once or twice (at about a 1:1 ratio) and drinking it on its own; I found that it needed a little extra simple syrup and lime juice to make it palatable. On its own, it's very spicy and very dry.

I'm having a little Toschi Lemoncello with a sparkling cava. My "no drinking on school nights" rule has gone by the wayside.

Something with rum. Not sure what yet. I just looked at that Jamaican Firefly recipe that AiO posted, hmmm, thought I'd try to fake one up with some Fentimans ginger .... wait, I'm out of Black Seal! How did that happen? Grrrr, back to the recipe books.

Never heard of that particular rule, doc. ;)

Joe?

My students drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank them.

I'm sorry, AiO. You were saying?

Peche Mortel, Hopus, and more of that incredible artisanal la bleue. which has the prettiest, deepest bluish cast I've seen since the legendary :censor1:, as well as a wondrous alpine aroma I can similarly detect from at least 30 feet away.

Never heard of that particular rule, doc. ;)

Joe?

My students drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank them.

I'm sorry, AiO. You were saying?

You said it! :cheers:

Something with rum

Turned out to be a "Gold Cup" from Beachbum Berry's "Grog Log":

3/4 oz fresh lime juice

3/4 oz simple syrup

1/2 oz maraschino liqueur

1 tsp Pernod (I substituted HB pastis)

3 drops almond extract

1 oz gold Jamaican rum (Appleton V/X)

shake/strain

This was another lesson for me to follow the recipe the first time you make a drink. I saw the recipe and my first thought was that was going to be WAY too much pastis. But I stuck to the recipe as printed, and it was very well balanced. If anything, for me, I'll probably cut the syrup back to 1/2 oz next time I try it (and maybe kick the rum up to 1.5). Most interesting is that while the balance was good, the flavors were still pretty distinct and easy to pick out; this drink didn't blend into any deep complexity, it was just a good, solid, sweet/tart cocktail, with some "exotic" flavors from the pastis, almond, and maraschino. Give it a try!

The first one killed off my bottle of Luxardo maraschino or I would have had a second. Shopping list now has Luxardo added to the Black Seal ...

Good to see the love for Old Granddad. See what I mean by how the package doesn't match the quality?

jcbphd, we bottled the Orange Liqueur with Curacao and Bergamot yesterday.....pm me.

I think it was your mention of OGD that led me to buy it. What was the cocktail that you mentioned making with it recently?

Devine Rebel, a Brewdog/Mikkeller collaborative barleywine.

Deep auburn color with lots of dark and citric fruit (cherries, figs, kumquats, mandarin oranges, and plums), vanilla, oak, whisky, and smoke. The body is syrupy/creamy, and the finish is very long and both sweet/medicinal and decidedly bitter in a dry hopped and succulent way.

I wish I'd bought more of this...it reminds me of Victory Old Horizontal for even bigger kids. :thumbup:

I found a local store with a nice cache of Ivan the Terrible Imperial Stout. I'm trying to buy them as quickly as I can but Jules says my weekly allowance will only go so far. Damn! There are probably 10 more bottles I need to get my hands on.

Yeah, I hear that stuff's not half bad. ;)

Onacuz it's a wondrous Montana impy, I think it's only fair that the tables have turned in your favor, Joe.

I'm sittin' on my last two bottles, and all my sources here have been picked clean.

Of course, when they're gone, I might just have to Head East in July. :biggrin:

Paradox 1998 Bowmore Cask.

Typically Brewdog, it ain't subtle, but it's really peaty, roasty, and ashy, and it's a nice change from the American bourbon barrel stouts I've become accustomed to...not that it's on a par with Ivan, mind you. :cheers: