DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Just put together some peachcellos. Yummmmm.

Stash is redlining.....must..buy..more..booze. Soon!

:cheers:

Quite aside from drinking, there's been a nice little storm blowing through since yesterday. Had all the windows and doors open to let it in. Perfect weather for a rousing game of Calvinball!

Yeppers, I'm a very happy little :devil: .

I'm having Guinness. Hoping it settles my stomach after the brat was going on about oysters. Goodgodalmighty, the very thought makes me need to :puke:.

He's stopped now given the fact his health has been threatened if he kept on.

So, a monster movie and Guinness it is.

:drunk:

I love oysters! But I'm settling for a burger and lots of cold water tonight. Jules decided to share a bug she found at work with me so drinking hasn't been very high on the list of things to do this week. Bleck.

+2...oysters are a reason I'll never be vegan. In a Poh Boy, or on the half-shell, there's nothing better.

Tonight I'm drinking a nice glass of the Roquette (to get this thread back on topic).

Hope you and Jules feel better soon.

Since I can't eat the icky little buggers (oysters), most are glad to go with the "more for us" line of thought, so it works out well.

Another Guinness and it's off to bed.

:cheers:

Finally cracked open that bottle of Xtabentun. There's definitely honey in there, with a light taste of anise. Kind of sticky-sweet, but not overly so. My wife threw some fruit (strawberries, pineapple, tangerine) in a blender with some ice to mix with it; Three shots to a drink, very tasty. I'll bet you could throw down a lot of these before you know what hits you. :3872-DrunkBanana:

Old Grand Dad, Bottled in Bond that a couple of Jim Beam reps were nice enough to bring to the distillery today.

So underrated it's just plain sad......

Old Grand Dad, eh? I'll keep my eyes open for that.

Just for fun, I made a very small batch of mead and bottled it last night. It is an apple cyser dedicated to creating a real "root beer." Flavored with Sarsaparilla, Ginger and Ginsing, it smells very much like root beer. It should end up very dry and bubbly.

I love oysters!

+1, with a few more exclamation points.

You should have been in Montana last year!

Where have I heard that one before? :rolleyes:

Not that it ain't the truth, I'm sure.

Btw, we've got some pretty damned succulent yearlings up here in Whatcom County, ya know. :thumbup:

I'm about to crack open a Full Sail Top Sail Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout...mostly cuz I just worked up a thirst from typing its name. :laugh:

Yeah, if I remember right, Attack Accountant really came through on those. I didn't think she'd be able to hold her breath that long while diving for them, but damned if she didn't show up with boxes and boxes full.

I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe was up in the Puget Sound showing off geoduck. You can keep those. I would kill to get fresh seafood from Pike Place right now though.

Old Grand Dad, Bottled in Bond...

So underrated it's just plain sad......

Yes sir, I found it to be very interesting, very unlike other brands. Though I bought my bottle. A friend promised me today to bring me the last of her Dickel. :yahoo:

I'm drinking the Biere de Mars, batch #3 Nov 2008. A bit of sediment, but it's settled out now. Still yummy.

Having a glass (or three ;) ) of Duplais Balance tonight, and I wonder how and to what degree this differs from Mansinthe... Well, I have to go through the reviews again and compare.

About reviewing I guess I'll have to come up with something soon (maybe), but due to my limited experience it may take some time. For now, though, I must say that Duplais Balance wasn't really as good and tasty (for me) as for instance Verte de Fougerolles and Jade Nouvelle Orleans, my two favourites out of four right now. But with a part more water than "usual" it's not as herbal and spicy (?) as with 2:1 or 3:1 parts at least.

Saturday evening here, so I might pour me even a fourth glass of Balance, or perhaps I'll top the evening with a nice Nouvelle Orleans drink instead..

:cheerz:

Having a glass (or three ;) ) of Duplais Balance tonight, and I wonder how and to what degree this differs from Mansinthe... Well, I have to go through the reviews again and compare.

Duplais Balance is a fine well-made absinthe. Mansinthe is well-made too, but not as refined and wonderful. Still it is pretty good. Balance is one of my top 10...wish I could get it here in the USA!

A couple times per years I guess I'll be getting 2 or 3 bottles each of Balance and Recette Marianne from Jen at absinthe-shop.com

I personally find Duplais Balance to be just a little bit to "spicy" for me. But as I mentioned it gets much better with a bit more water than to Verte de Fougerolles, as an example. Maybe it's just me and maybe there's more of nuances for the Balance, for more of an absintheur, but I kind'a like the "cleaner" (?) and I guess that little bit more detectable "licorice" taste of VdF more..

Being a newbie, as I am, on absinthes and particular flavors I don't have the experience of different brands yet. So this is my initial and very subjective opinions.

Edit: I don't really know what gives me that "spicy" impression. Could it be that there's more Wormwood to it, or is it perhaps that coriander I've read about?

Edited by SethP

I personally find Duplais Balance to be just a little bit to "spicy" for me.

It's heavy on the coriander, which seems to be a recurring Matter thing.

Well. Some day (soon I hope) I'll have to find out for myself how at least two of the other Matter-Luginbühl brands, Mansinthe and HR Giger, is compared to Balance.

By the way.. I think that I'll have to get some dried wormwood, anise, fennel, coriander, star anise and perhaps some other herbs and spices to be able to sort them out and distinguish between them in a drink. As it is right now I've only got sort of a "clue" (and not a very good one) about what anise and coriander should taste like, but I can't even distinguish between anise and star anise. :unsure: So I'll have to try them out and compare, so to say.

I'm also open for any suggestions about how I'll get my taste buds in (a proper working) order!? ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing. :tongue:

For me it's more like; with a bit more water than usual the Duplais Balance is very enjoyable! :)

Between four to five parts (more 5 than 4 parts I guess) of ice water seems to be the right dilution for me, thus giving it a bit less "spicy" touch.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :tongue:

Not really, just a tad one dimensional.

And I do love my coriander. :)

I saw a sparkling Malbec on Astor one time. I was curious, but I'm betting it's shit.