DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

you're always drinking that! Out of curiosity, may I ask how many bottles you bought?

About a case and a half, and I'm down to my last three bottles.

However, I seem to recall spotting a bit more at a local grocer recently. :)

Wow, nice going. I only bought one bottle while I was home and I never have had it, or I likely would have bought more. Damnet. I did, however, buy some Bottleworks XI which is a blend of Ivan the Terrible aged in port, bourbon, and rye whisky barrels "with a few other touches like a Belgian Dark strong ale added for balance and complexity."

Cant wait to try, people say some red wine flavor come through like crazy though.

I definitely need to find some more Ivan though!

Cant wait to try, people say some red wine flavor come through like crazy though.

Yeah, from what I've read, people seem to think the balance is very much on the port side, and while I loved Fish Brewing's barrel aged Old Poseidon in its day, I'm not sure I'd be a big fan of the XI. It seems like Big Sky went a bit overboard with all that blending.

A crazy good margarita with tequila, Triplum tiple sec, Meyer lemon juice, Monin violet syrup, and a float of Del Maguey mezcal. I'm in heaven. :heart:

I remember a nice little Mexican restaurant my wife and I used to go to when we were dating...they served a "Cadillac Margarita" made with Grand Marnier rather than Cointreau or Triple Sec. Nice taste and even better results!

In the latest issue of Mutineer, there is a nice review of several different combo's of booze to arrive at a margarita, and that seems to be one of them. I'm tempted to try them all.

La P'tite...good stuff!

:cheers:

Well, I'm a bit more of a computer hardware guy than a software guy, but I'd totally smack a thermostat with a hammer.

I've been wanting to build a core i7 machine for a minute. Can't right now. Maybe when I get the $ SSDs will have come down in price a bit more.

more intensity

2120091518_3326860884.jpg

:laugh: Damn, we need to hang!

The most humungous absinthe I've ever tasted.

It's another, even bigger version of the Besançon clone.

Along with huge wormwood and fennel, there's also a gigantic fruity anise presence, and this one really drinks like the Ten Fidy of absinthe. The flavor is so big that I had to water it down far below the usual Absomphesized™ level just to tame it a bit. That being said, almost four years of aging has definitely smoothed this out a lot, and there's more than a bit of that vintage absinthe smell and taste, although it hasn't quite ventured into Rolls Royce leather™ territory.

Evening. Can't say I'm drinking absinthe (cheap wine, in fact, is all), so you guys are probably gnashing your teeth at me, ready to kick me out - but wait! What did Scarlett say to Ashley? Oh, Ashley, say you love me. I'll (Ah'll) live on it for the rest of my life. I'm like Scarlett, sort of; I really adore your repartee, feel like I could just live on it, maybe not for the rest of my life, but for a while. Anyway, I want to taste my first taste of absinthe, soon, by the next time you guys talk about what ya'll are drinking tonight. It has to be from an American distiller, and I see Leopold Bros. make absinthe. So what brand shall I order?

We don't require everyone to drink absinthe all the time, ya know. ;) I haven't had a sip of anything stronger than water this evening. No real reason.

What's available in Ohio? I don't remember seeing much of an option when I was there last summer.

Anyway, I want to taste my first taste of absinthe, soon, by the next time you guys talk about what ya'll are drinking tonight. It has to be from an American distiller, and I see Leopold Bros. make absinthe. So what brand shall I order?

Leopold does indeed make absinthe, and many here think very highly of it. I'm not sure I would recommend it as a first absinthe, because its flavor is a little eccentric and atypical. I would start with Walton Waters or Marteau if I had my heart set on an absinthe distilled in America. Both are truly excellent and are "classic" vertes through and through.

(To be fair to Leopold, though, it does make a terrific Sazerac.)

If you extend your search to Europe, then I would recommend either Vieux Pontarlier (France) or Duplais Verte (Switzerland), because to my mind they also have the classic absinthe verte flavor profile and are relatively affordable. Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

And by the way, I am currently drinking mead (of my own making), though I did have a little Roquette earlier.

Second glass of Verte de Fougerolles right now.. But I can't get too carried away. (Time here is about 11 PM and I've got work tomorrow to think about.)

Cool and warm at the same time, and quite tasty! :thumbup:

We don't require everyone to drink absinthe all the time, ya know. ;) I haven't had a sip of anything stronger than water this evening. No real reason.

What's available in Ohio? I don't remember seeing much of an option when I was there last summer.

Joe, I have found (so far) little to nothing available in Ohio, but still looking because that's where my quest - and anything else I do that relates to wormwood and absinthe - begins. I met with a person today who owns a brewery. The brewmeister was not in, but the owner's son was quite interested in brainstorming ideas for an absinthe distillery. When his father returns from Costa Rica, we're going to sit down and talk. I explained what I've learned in this forum and other places, and he (the owner's son) became rather excited. Actually asked me if I had any of this "absinthe" with me, and I had to laugh - I guess I could get a flask and start carrying: Is that appropos, Joe? I had asked in this forum about ordering from Leopold Brothers, since they're an American distillery, but have received no response so far. It looks like American distillers don't know much about making absinthe, or if they do, you guys aren't buying it. Good to know water's okay.

Some of the best absinthes in the world, and most lauded on this site, are made here in the US.

Anyway, I want to taste my first taste of absinthe, soon, by the next time you guys talk about what ya'll are drinking tonight. It has to be from an American distiller, and I see Leopold Bros. make absinthe. So what brand shall I order?

Leopold does indeed make absinthe, and many here think very highly of it. I'm not sure I would recommend it as a first absinthe, because its flavor is a little eccentric and atypical. I would start with Walton Waters or Marteau if I had my heart set on an absinthe distilled in America. Both are truly excellent and are "classic" vertes through and through.

(To be fair to Leopold, though, it does make a terrific Sazerac.)

If you extend your search to Europe, then I would recommend either Vieux Pontarlier (France) or Duplais Verte (Switzerland), because to my mind they also have the classic absinthe verte flavor profile and are relatively affordable. Let us know what you decide on and how you like it.

And by the way, I am currently drinking mead (of my own making), though I did have a little Roquette earlier.

Ah, thanks, Marlow, I've made note of the Walton Waters and the Marteau, in addition to the Duplais Verte. I'll explore the European and other distillers, eventually, I'm sure. Your mead sounds good, sounds strong (if that's a good word to use). I've got to order my absinthe spoons, glasses . . . .

I sat all day at work with a lovely bottle of Pacifique (my first taste of it)

After pouring a few ozs for a coworker into a bottle I caught my bus home... chatted with Al Gore on the phone .. and arrived home

First experience here is killer! The louche is rivaled only by the sun setting through the gentle snow that is falling on Santa Fe right now. I had heard about the opalescent bit.. but never seen it quite like this!

its party time!

American distillers don't know much about making absinthe

Ahh Mary, Let's see, St. George, Delware Phoenix(maker of Walton Water and Meadow of Love), Marteau, Pacifique, Leopold, Sirene, Vieux Carre' and soon Ridge Verte and Blanche. These come to mind right away. I'm not real keen on the St. George (must be the star anise). You have to shop a bit but there are some mighty fine domestic absinthes around. I'm sorry if I missed some but the ones I've mentioned are all worthy of buying.

This is a very nice drink but it thins your wallet something fierce. *smile*

These can be found online and with very little effort. As you may have noticed, I'm proud of the American distillers and their products and highly suggest giving them a try.

The French and Swiss absinthes are also terrific. If you need help, check the review section or just keep reading. It's all good. I buy domestic to support our members which they all are. You will not be disappointed.

If you think I can help, just PM me and I'll do what I can.

Until then, Cheers!

I had asked in this forum about ordering from Leopold Brothers, since they're an American distillery, but have received no response so far. It looks like American distillers don't know much about making absinthe, or if they do, you guys aren't buying it.

Like Bill said, I'd put American Absinthe against anything from Europe. Poke around a little and you can find the links to buy online. Marc, Gwydion, Dakini, Rob, Todd and Sonya are all artists. No question about it.

Check out Mission for Leopold Absinthe.