DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I drink Tuaca by itself. For me it's got enough flavor and body that I don't even think to mix it. Do you drink it mixed? I'd love to hear what you blend it with. I'm working on broadening my cocktail horizons. :cheers:

Stumbled upon my almost empty bottle of Lucid this evening while digging through the liquor. Haven't had any in quite some time, and I've sampled a lot of good absinthe since then. Louched up a glass ... well, my palate has definitely developed a bit since the last time I had it. I remember thinking it was pretty ok, and pretty similar to the few other vertes I had tasted back then, not a whole lot between them. Tonight, not so easily impressed. It all seemed a little rough, for want of a better word. Anise character a bit subdued, the funky/musty/whatever and sort of dirty herb were dominant in the aroma. Flavor was better, but still just a bit dull and muddy. Balance seemed ok, but I think this was a great education in the difference between super quality herbs and those that are not-so-super. It comes across as proper and traditional, but just not nearly as pleasant and tasty as the best.

Maybe some St. George tomorrow :devil:

. Do you drink it mixed?

I keep mine in the freezer and sip it straight or even use it as a shooter. I imagined that it would be fantastic in a mixed drink, but I didn't have any luck with my experiments.

I need to try it with cola.

In honor of the page, I will likely make up a Satan cocktail tonight. :dev-cheers:

Even better, mix yourself up a Satan's Whiskers cocktail--straight or curled. The original recipe calls for equal parts of all the ingredients (except the Grand Marnier/Curacao and the orange bitters), but I like Drinkboy's recipe, which goes a little heavier on the gin and vermouth.

Will it work as well with Cointreau? I have no Grand Marnier in my liquor cabinet right now.

Also, as a PA resident, what would you suggest as an Orange Curacao brand? The only curacao I have seen is Bols, which I don't particularly like.

I need to try it with cola.

Thanks to doc's suggestion, (hug to her) I must pick up more cola when I'm out today. I'm sure I'll always love it by itself, but that was a really good variation I won't be forgetting. Also not to be forgotten is how fast the glass is dry after just making another. :dribble:

Okay, must be about my coffee and then the errands.

Good day to all, :dev-cheers:

btw, OBP.....love the avatar!! Great movie.

Edited by Hedonmonkey

At tonight's absinthe tasting party, 8 guests, including 2 absinthe virgins will be sampling Vieux Carre and La Clandestine. (Lucky newbys) Here's the spread awaitin' the guests.

preParty.jpg

Edited by sbmac

Will it work as well with Cointreau? I have no Grand Marnier in my liquor cabinet right now.

Also, as a PA resident, what would you suggest as an Orange Curacao brand? The only curacao I have seen is Bols, which I don't particularly like.

Cointreau and Grand Marnier are both orange-flavored liqueurs, both they're really different animals. Grand Marnier, which has a brandy base, is closer to the way that orange curacao was originally made. Cointreau, while a fine liqueur, has a grain neutral spirits base and isn't really an acceptable subsitute for GM or curacao. Use it instead as a substitute in drinks that call for triple sec (margaritas, cosmos, etc.).

Unfortunately, as a PA resident, you're pretty much screwed when it comes to obtaining real curacao in state. Balls to Bols. You can get the original orange curacao, Senior, through DUNY. It's pretty good. I also sometimes use Clement Creole Shrubb (a spicy rum-based orange liqueur) as a substitute--it's very good. The best curacao on the market in the US is probably Marie Brizard, but it's difficult to track down, even online. DUNY just got a few MB products in stock; hopefully the curacao isn't far behind.

For now, I'd just suggest investing in a bottle of Grand Marnier. It's pricey, but it's a widely available substitute for curacao and a little bit goes a long way.

Looks like I'm stuck with cheapo beer for the duration.

Life's too short... :3869-sadbanana:

Old Horizontal, which has become my old standby, and is relatively cheap at $2.25 a bottle, especially for such a full, rounded, fruity/hoppy ale.

The Royal Combier from LdF is brandy based and I like it just fine. I don't know if DUNY carries it yet or not. I just think it's pretty tasty. *smile*

At tonight's absinthe tasting party, 8 guests, including 2 absinthe virgins will be sampling Vieux Carre and La Clandestine. (Lucky newbys) Here's the spread awaitin' the guests.

preParty.jpg

Great presentation..

As a rule, I do this every last Friday of the month. You're all welcome if you're in the area or passing thru! :cheers:

So, where, exactly, is Huntington, NY...? ;)

The best curacao on the market in the US is probably Marie Brizard, but it's difficult to track down, even online.

That will change next week.

But you still won't be able to get it in PA. ;)