DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

We'll bottle the Rye in November, GB.

We're not calling the Bourbon a Bourbon. We're simply calling it American Whiskey in the younger iterations. The 4 year old expression will be called Bourbon on the label.

Leopold Bros. Rye Whiskey?!!! :dribble:

I hope it becomes available online for the folks in Minnesota!

P.S. I'm drinking a Monteleone tonight.

I also hope the Leo Bros. rye will be available online, especially with a retailer that also carries their absinthe verte. Because you know a Sazerac with those two together just has to be done. Plus, it'll give me the excuse I need to restock one of my favorite absinthes anyway.

Edited by Green Baron

LB that's good, to technically be a bourbon a majority of the fermentables need to be corn, and functionally most of the fermentables need to be corn.

Drinking a greyhound with cheap vodka and expensive juice. Sometimes one has to make priorities.

Edited by Pontarlierbath

Because you know a Sazerac with those two together just has to be done.

Outstanding idea!

Congratulations, Todd. I wonder what the next surprise from Leopold Bro.s with be? :cheers:

LB that's good, to technically be a bourbon a majority of the fermentables need to be corn, and functionally most of the fermentables need to be corn.

It's ~70% corn. It doesn't have to be anywhere close to that, functionally speaking. We put the full fermented mash our pot still. The big whiskey producers don't do this....they use a continuous still, which doses a steady stream of distillers in with live steam. In other words, the fermented mash is only heated for a few seconds rather than 5 or 6 hours of cooking in a pot still.

As a result, the corn flavors are much more prominent in a pot distilled distillate than a continuous still. So the amount of corn needed in the grist isn't the same. But we use ~70% nonetheless.

Edited by leopold

OK, couldn't stand it any more! So many unopened bottles, so little time. That Twin Tec has been calling my name, so it got 1st nod. And yes, I've never had CLB, so it got 2nd and was a much happier experience. 3rd went to E III and I have to admit I was very pleased. The aroma had elements I love so much in DM, that nice minty floral thing. A word to the wise, resist the urge to clean up that T-stopper unless you're sober. Precenphix take note. :wave2:

Indeed sir. Vindicated and very very pleased with the news.

Now I 've got this huge urge to go shoot some pool and relax. However, intoxication has entered the building in full force....so we'll be toasting the news at home.

:cheers: all

Stone Imperial Russian Stout.

I know of your love for Ivan the Terrible .. The great Bottleworks in Seattle is releasing their 11th anniversary ale tomorrow! Here is the info on it ..

Our 11th anniversary ale is a blend comprised mostly of Ivan the Terrible aged in port, bourbon, and rye whisky barrels with a few other touches like a Belgian Dark strong ale added for balance and complexity. Expect a very rich stout with equal parts fruit and wood.”

sounds awesome .. Just wanted to give you the heads up! Wish I could get some .. But I'm gone, as is my brother. Bummer.

Just got-back from a post-work "meeting". Gotta love it when management picks up the tab. I rarely drink beer, but I enjoyed my pair of El Torero's at the Alameda Brewpub, in all of their organic IPA goodness. Then I had to pee SO BAD on the way home, but had to stop for air in my rear tire (it was exceedingly low - might have a punctured tire on my hands), and wouldn't you know, a lady at the station asked me if I'd give her a jump.

(rimshot)

Fortunately, the mechanic came out as we were getting ready to do the jumper cable thing and helped show her to the battery pack they had on hand, so to the hobbit-hole I have returned. Business was taken care of, and now I'm finishing up with a half Leopold (verte), half Valote (blanche) mix of absinthe, and eating a Pamela's dark chocolate cookie. This is how dessert was always meant to be.

Ah, well, you'll love this, then.

The Bergamot is in the nose, for sure, but the flavor of Bergamot shows up at the very tail end of the fade, just tickling you tongue. It's a "ok....wow. What was that?" sort of thing that makes you want more. I considered putting it down in barrels, but that finish is too delicate to screw with.....

If it ain't broke....

Oh, and Absomphe (et. al.)...we've got Rum barrels heading to a Rock Bottom in Colorado Springs, and it looks like our Rye Barrels (15 gallons ea.) are headed to Avery for a neat project that I'll tell you about when it's ok.

Fresh bergamot is fantastic -- I was wondering why mentioning fresh bergamot a couple of months back piqued your interest!

Tonight, I am sipping on a clipper ship. I gotta say, Zman (if you're reading), that it's a fantastic cocktail. Pass along my kudos to whomever made it.

Following it up, I think with a negroni. I just got some Vya vermouth and boy howdy, does it make a difference. Well worth the price versus the Martini and Rossi that is usually the only sweet vermouth to be found on the shelves here.

Oh, and Absomphe (et. al.)...we've got Rum barrels heading to a Rock Bottom in Colorado Springs, and it looks like our Rye Barrels (15 gallons ea.) are headed to Avery for a neat project that I'll tell you about when it's ok.

Sweet! :thumbup: :cheers: