DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I had a couple Manhattans and a couple 75's from the LDF cocktails. For the first 75 I used Obsello, for the second I used Serpis (thought it would go well with the Apple Brandy). I liked the second one because everything blended together better. I'd like to try this with different gins. I used a genever gin this time. When I first saw the recipe included both Apple Brandy and Gin I was like wtf? I thought they would clash too much. But it worked better as expected. Nice cocktail. Flavors coming from all over the place!

Some nigori sake tonight. I don't have sake often, every time I do I'm reminded how much I like it. Unfortunately, it reminds my wife how much she doesn't like it, which is probably why it remains a rare treat. Oh well, happy Valentine's Day to me!

I had a couple of glasses of an absinthe that can be bought at my local WA state liquor stores. It's not really worth a mention. I can't wait to get some better bottles. My wife and I are going to Portland in a few months to go to a Brian Jonestown Massacre show; does anyone know of any places there where I can find a better selection than what I'm used to in VA and southeast WA? I already checked the Absinthe in Cities Around the World thread, by the way.

Every store I've been to so far has only had Lucid, Pernod, etc.

Edited by ubu

A Cocktail a la Louisiane.

In the past, I've found this drink a bit cloying due to the amount of sweet vermouth and Benedictine called for; they tend to overpower the equal proportion of rye, IMO. This time, however, I used Thomas Handy and it went a long way towards balancing everything else out. Result: a damn fine tipple!

Tonight, in honor of the Mardi Gras celebrations and Fat Tuesday, I will be popping the cork on a bottle of Nouveau-Orleans thats been sitting here waiting for the right occasion. Then maybe a walk down Vieux Carre (the new batch is swell ;) ). I may not be there in person, but I'll be there in spirit - mit meine Gruene Fee. :arrr:

Edit: Don't forget chat tonight. The more the merrier.

The Caorunn does seem intriguing, particularly since I happen to have the ingredients for the Myrtle, Heather, and Dandelion Martini recipes as well as many of the others. Now all I need is DUNY to carry it and I'll be all set.

I'm splitting a bottle of Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut Rosé with my sweetie because it is Fat Tuesday and I got a raise and a bonus today at work! :yahoo:

I had an "absinthe-minded" cocktail with Sirene.... a couple "blackthorns" (I'm in a cocktail phase right now) And now I'm drinking an overpriced Kübler thanks to the greedy, fascist, stupid piece of poop SAQ monster! (see absinthe in Canada thread)

Congrats! Baubel is right. To even be employed is a good deal right now, let alone advancing in one's career. Cheers, doc. I'll toast you with orange Fanta tonight.

An interesting Scottish gin called Caorunn tonight. It's made with six traditional herbs, and then another 5 celtic herbs such as heather, bog myrtle, rowan berry, dandelion and Coul Blush apples.

Quite fascinating.

Sounds like a very good gin. :cheers: