DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Last night it was Ike, Jade NO, CLB, EdPdF and good fellowship with friends I've known since grade school. It amazes me how distorted or enhanced the same stories changed over the years.

;)

Lots o' beer and wine tonight.

Plus some smoked sausages on the weber,

to be dipped in tonight's fondue.

Once them meat-sticks were done

I smoked 3 cans of black olives, YOWZA!

Thanks to JP for that idea.

I tried smoking salmon once. Even after I found out which end to light, I couldn't get a good drag off of it, so it wouldn't stay lit. It's not for me, no way!

You should try the jerky.

It's been pre-smoked, and cured like tobacco, so it's smoother, and easier to light.

I think tonight it will have to be one of the top notch HG:s that are hiding behind the commercial stuff...

A special :cheers: to Brandywine!

Asc: Leo

MC: Aries

Bottled the latest batch of mead yesterday and had a sample. Rather dry, very refreshing. I really feel like having a glass right now, but it should age to develop its full potential. Must find something else to make me stop thinking about it ... hmmm - oh, there is that bottle of CLB. I guess that'll be just right.

Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel.

This recent innovational style has been catching on in Belgium, of late, and this one is amazing.

Three hop varietals, including the high alpha Amarillo and Tomahawk for bitterness, and the softer Saaz for aromatics, this brew is a perfect marriage of the two styles.

There is an herbal hop garden in both the nose, and the palate, but also an elegance, and finesse from the Belgian yeast, and triple fermentation.

Urthel also does a very creditable ale in this style, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Chouffe.

Truly the Besançon of Belgian ales!

So, last night was a couple of beers.

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA. Not bad, but not as citrusy as I like in an IPA.

Rodenbach sour flemish ale. Good sourness, clean; but not much else too it. Very light on the malt, no noticible hops, not very fruity; pretty dull and flat for the most part. I much prefer the Duchesse du Borgogne.

The Grand Cru is somewhat more complex, but, still, I find the present (Palm) Rodenbachs to be shadows of their former selves, and definitely overrated.

Yay! My local supermarket has started carrying Orval. That'll be a nice little night cap waiting for me when I come home from work tonight.

I strongly recommend absinthe as a preventive of stomach upset.

I've never had an upset stomach after drinking absinthe, so it must work!

Yeah, the way I got into absinthe in the first place is that I was using pastis as a nightcap, because it soothed my stomach after a night of abuse. When I discovered that absinthe was the same sort of thing, only much, much, much better, it became the obvious choice for my drink of choice.

Pyramid Hefeweizen. I found two 6ers at the HEB. They were shoved way back into the back on the bottom shelf. I was fixing to go for the Warsteiner Dunkel, but we do love the Pyramid. Maybe they'll carry the apricot if I ask.

Cheese beer? :blink: On the other hand, I do enjoy some pivní sýr - beer cheese - from time to time. An acquired taste to be sure.