DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Made some White Christmas 2 with La Clandestine for the family. Since they haue never had absinthe before I thought I would make something pretty for them which they loved.... until they actually tasted the black licoricy drink I served them :holiday:

Finishing off the night with La Clandestine.

The evening started with some homemade eggnog (with a bit of rum), and then progressed to some Lucien Albrecht Cremant D'Alsace. Then Santa brought us some Del Maguey Minero mezcal, which found its way into a few Riedel tequila glasses. This was quickly followed by a bottle of the Schlafly Holiday Ale. Now that I've read about Green Baron's absinthe nog, I think my evening will end with exactly this. :cheers:

Paper cup of sparkling grape juice, followed by a bottle of water, then finally a paper cup of eggnog.

Christmas? I barely recognize ye!

*laugh*

That was funny, Ron.

Let's see, heading down to ATL today and gonna stay for two nights on the concierge club level at the downtown Ritz with the ex ex (hmmm). Five food presentations though out the day and all the booze you want included in the price. Low occupancy and a corporate rate of 199.00 per night (split between the two of us) makes it a bargain in my book.

So, drinking champagne tonight for sure, maybe a cocktail or three.

:cheers:

I too met Mr. Cooper at a tasting of about 5 of his mezcal offerings. A very fine fellow with some very fine spirits. Recently I tasted his top-of-the-line Pechuga which is the Minero distilled with fruits (pineapples, plantains, mountain plums), rice, almonds, hazelnuts, and a whole skinless chicken breast. It may sound crazy and/or gross but it is like drinking the best chicken dinner ever.

Merry Christmas morning. Having a "foglifter" pot of coffee with a family recipe Kahlua.

A bonus of living alone and really harsh weather, nobody's racing to the coffee pot and I can drink at my leisure. :yahoo:

Many Blessings :heart:

I tasted his top-of-the-line Pechuga

Great stuff aint it? You can see it behind me along with the rest of his line in my incredible hulk cocktail vid. :cheers:

Everyone who asks about Del Maguey, I tell them it's like putting the best qualities of tequila together with the best qualities of a light scotch.

Did either of you try the Crema de Mezcal? Ooooh nelly. That's such a great dessert drink.

I received bottles of a new brand called Ilegal [sic] Mexcal. Decent, but nowhere near the quality of Del Maguey.

More Ivan the Terrible. Amazing complexity, and absolutely delicious. It's almost neck and neck with Berserker for my top Imperial. I notice that I'm still fond of the great American style versions (of which Oak Aged Yeti is a prime example), but, while I'm wild about some incredibly hoppy Imperial IPAs, my taste in the stouts has shifted toward the nuttier, fruitier, winier, and more bourbony examples, especially if they're beautifully balanced like this beauty.

Here's mud in your eye, Big Sky, Joe, Jules and family, and the great state of Montana! :cheers: :yahoo:

tequila

:nono: Mezcal is not tequila - which refers only to spirits of the blue agave from Jalisco and limited regions in the states of Guanajuato, Michoacán, Nayarit, and Tamaulipas. If you use an agave that is not blue agave, but yet made in Jalisco, it's not tequila but mezcal.

Had a variety of really good IPA's and christmas ales last night

yulesmith 2008, great lakes christmas ale, etc.

with a glass of Caprisuese on the side

tonight is probably going to be the same thing

Started with some cranberry mead after lunch then moved on to a martini made with a gin prototype.......tasty. :thumbup:

Sipped some vintage absinthe, it's Christmas and I've been fairly good. I felt as though I was good enough for it anyway. ;)

Now on some 1797 essai 1. weak louche nice taste. A bit of aging works for this one......or maybe it's just me.

seems like there were other things but they elude me at the moment. <shrug>

Started out with Voyager on the rocks. Smooth & complex.

Winding down the evening with the always satisfying St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Sometimes those Canadalanders get beer right.

mcauslan.jpg

Edit: hand-blown glass was a Christmas gift from my father-in-law. Work of a local amateur.

It's been a very Merry X-Mass. I started out with the obligatory family get together (which was actually allot more pleasant than I had anticipated). Got home and started with a PF 1901. Moved on to Alandia's Suisse Verte. Next up, Essai 5 (good shit!!!). Finally an HG. Perhaps it's time to sleep, perchance to dream. :laugh:

Winding down the evening with the always satisfying St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Sometimes those Canadalanders get beer right.

mcauslan.jpg

Edit: hand-blown glass was a Christmas gift from my father-in-law. Work of a local amateur.

Love that stuff. I live about ten minutes away (walking) from the brewery and loue to sit on their terrace in the summer and sip their tasty beverages.

I've had all sorts of stuff today. Rum and cider, moosehead, steam whistle, unfiltered Rauchbier by Les Trois Mousquetaires, Forty Creek Barrel Select, Glenfiddich 12yr., Clandestine, and some Ice Cider from Ontario.

Started the day with Mimosas, then nursed a double Widow's Kiss, then Cline Cashmere with dinner, and finally an HG .... got to break in my Christmas present absinthe fountain. :cheers:

Starting the evening with an Obituary cocktail then moved on to a Monkey Gland. I'll switch to absinthe after this drink is gone. I'm out of François Guy but there ought to be something left. ;)

:cheers:

tequila

:nono: Mezcal is not tequila

Yes, I know. I never said it was tequila, as I know it isn't. This mezcal is a different beast all together. I was only describing its qualities on the palate.

Give me a little credit. ;)

Yup, Brian knows his alcohol. I posted on another forum about a Mexican honey-anise liquor that I like called Xtabentun (I dare you to say that ten times in a row, very fast :twitchsmile: ) and to my amazement Brian had nor only heard of it (no one else had) but had tried it. :thumbup:

Edited by absinthejack

tequila

:nono: Mezcal is not tequila

Yes, I know. I never said it was tequila, as I know it isn't. This mezcal is a different beast all together. I was only describing its qualities on the palate.

Give me a little credit. ;)

I know that's a simple way to describe it to newcomers unfamiliar with the drink and it's authentic history.

You probably wouldn't call absinthe a cross between sambuca and charteuse, you'd serve a glass of something good from your wonderful cabinet and say "Now this is absinthe". (Thinking instead of the neon green/blue/red/black stuff you were telling me your friends had with the flaming sugar cube in, ah hm, Prague, and how it so messed them up.)

Knowing that people know you're knowledgeable, someone out there now is probably saying these mezcals are "tequila based scotch whiskies". :twitchsmile:

I will vouch for Brian's knowledge and understanding of all things booze. As for me and my house, Four Roses single barrel in a Riedel glass with two special square ice cubes, but I spilled it in my computer keyboard, which is not recommended.

Yup, Brian knows his alcohol. I posted on another forum about a Mexican honey-anise liquor that I like called Xtabentun

Once available only Mexico, you can now order it from DUNY. I love it. Light, pleasant and very refreshing.

You probably wouldn't call absinthe a cross between sambuca and charteuse, you'd serve a glass of something good from your wonderful cabinet and say...

When I describe Del Maguey, it's not normally when people are at my home. It's in general conversation. If they were at my place, I'd just pull it off the wall and have them try it.

If I were to describe absinthe's flavor to someone else in general conversation, I'd most certainly try to liken it to a flavor they are already familiar with. I think in my description of Del Maguey Mezcals, it's pretty well understood by anyone who read it that I wasn't calling it tequila, nor was I calling it scotch. I was only describing the flavors.

Just as describing St. Germain as a cross between pears and lychee doesn't categorize it as either fruit, but paints a pretty clear picture in one's head what the flavor would be like.