DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

You might be mistaking the Ponty wormwood for mintiness.

Thanks for ellaborating on that Brian! I just wish I had something else with ponty wormywood to compare it to....The drink has since warmed up and is making me smile

Tonight I'm making absinthe frappes with Brut D'Alambic, Clandestine, and Duplais Balance with a splash of orange flower water. It works well with the blanches, and the orange flower water makes the Duplais taste like L'Italienne! :cheers:

I'm not going to say what I'm drinking tonight, but I know what Joe L. will be drinking in a few scant hours.

(New Distillery-warming gift transported by OMG Bill).

Enjoy the cocktails, Joe!

Whoa! I just saw this! Thanks, Todd. I'm intrigued. As if seeing Bill and Precious wasn't enough. :cheers:

another late night absinthe...

again, trying the Doub's Mystique

and it is really starting to round off to a nice anise/wormwood profile

definitely tastes better when it warms up

is that really the Pontrlier wormwood in here for this brand?

Had BKSmithey and OMG in for a distillery tour just now here in Denver with about 30 or so other people.

Thanks again Todd, had a super time. Got to meet Todd and Bill and Precious for the first time, and it made my day. Absolutely wonderful people, but I think that's already a well known fact :cheers:

We got to sample many of the different Leopold Bros. concoctions yesterday. I know the absinthe and gin are well known and highly regarded around here, but I have to put in a plug for everything that Todd makes. I'm not much of a liqueur drinker myself, but we sampled 4 of them yesterday (cherry, cranberry, blackberry, and the herbal "Three Pins"). All were delicious, but I have to single out the Michigan Tart Cherry as spectacular. My wife has a tart cherry dumpling recipe that is a family favorite, and with her first taste of the cherry liqueur she said "cherry dumplings!". From the small taste I had I got the impression of wonderful tart cherries with a nice balancing sweetness, but the big surprise was the nice, silky mouthfeel. For those of you (like me) who turn away from liqueurs because they are syrupy, sticky, and just too sugary, you must try some of these.

Next purchase: Leopold Bros. New York Apple Flavored Whiskey :thumbup:

2009 TheAbyss on tap yesterday.

That over-roasted, and over-hopped character I found in the bottled version was mitigated by a wonderful vanilla/rummy quality, and the flavors were better married, and much smoother. Amazing stuff. :thumbup:

In a little while I'll have a Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout (bottle, not on tap). I doubt it reaches the sublime levels of The Abyss (which I have yet to try), but I can work my imagination.

<insert beer cheers emotion here>

I like it better than The Abyss in the bottle, but, on tap, The Abyss definitely eclipses it.

As does Oak Aged Yeti, and its chocolate, oak aged fraternal twin that I'm really savoring, as I type. :thumbup:

I think he means wormwood pontica.

Of course, the legendary Three Floyds is almost at the top. :cheers:

Rankings, schmankings...so many of those are fueled largely by hype...Berserker Imperial by Midnight Sun 'only' receives a score of 4.06 (which may not put it in the top 100 beers), but I'm certain it's the best Imperial I've ever tasted...it lays Dark Lord to waste, IMO.

No, he means that Doubs uses petite wormwood grown in the Pontarlier region of France.

And yes, it is minty and delicious.

Rankings, schmankings...so many of those are fueled largely by hype...Berserker Imperial by Midnight Sun 'only' receives a score of 4.06 (which may not put it in the top 100 beers), but I'm certain it's the best Imperial I've ever tasted.

I probably won't be able to find it in the boondocks, but I'll look. I'm sure you're right about the rankings. And many are probably only regionally available. Yes, 4.06 gets it to #43 (within the Imperial Stout style). But how many people have ever heard of Free State Owd Macs Imperial Stout (4.13/#29) let alone tasted it?

But thankfully many good beers are being made in the US, in so many different styles. And that's the best part.

:cheers:

After a day of blind wine tasting with good local friends, I'm sticking to water tonight. I'm so thankful right now that I get to be off work (my day job at least) for the next 7 days. :thumbup:

I'm not going to say what I'm drinking tonight, but I know what Joe L. will be drinking in a few scant hours.

(New Distillery-warming gift transported by OMG Bill).

I'm sure Joe will be thankful, and pleased. Bill was really looking forward to the visit, so I'm glad it was a good time all around!

Whoa! I just saw this! Thanks, Todd. I'm intrigued. As if seeing Bill and Precious wasn't enough. :cheers:

Joe, disregard what I said above. Todd may have sent innocent Bill as a bomb-carrying mule to wipe out the competition and consolidate power!! Listen for ticking sounds or greasy spots on the box!

Thanks Ron. Wise words, I'm sure but Ridge will be so small-batch that we won't be competition to anyone. I'm just out to make a little good hooch while the other guys (and gal) take over the world.

Aww, horseshit. I got 5 dollars says... :thumbup:

Rankings, schmankings...so many of those are fueled largely by hype...Berserker Imperial by Midnight Sun 'only' receives a score of 4.06 (which may not put it in the top 100 beers), but I'm certain it's the best Imperial I've ever tasted.

Yup, just like Sexual Chocolate. I thought it was overhyped after tasting it at World Beer Fest. Then I tasted the Oak aged cask at the Saucer. Oh My Damn.

Solid advice, Ron.

It could easily look like an accident!

Thanks Ron. Wise words, I'm sure but Ridge will be so small-batch that we won't be competition to anyone. I'm just out to make a little good hooch while the other guys (and gal) take over the world.

UNLIMITED POWERRRR!!

palpatine%20unlimited%20power.jpeg

No, he means that Doubs uses petite wormwood grown in the Pontarlier region of France.

And yes, it is minty and delicious.

Ok. So when you guys say ponty wormwood you mean wormwood from Pontarlier?

This whole time I thought you were referring to wormwood pontica.

Is wormwood pontica and roman wormwood the same thing? Is petite wormwood the same as though two as well?

P.S. I'm drinking orange pekoe with Irish Mist.

Ok. So when you guys say ponty wormwood you mean wormwood from Pontarlier?

This whole time I thought you were referring to wormwood pontica.

Is wormwood pontica and roman wormwood the same thing?

Is petite wormwood the same as though two as well?

Yes.

No.

No. Roman wormwood= Artimisia Abrotanum. Petite Wormwood= Artimisia Pontica

Same as the former, not the latter.

There are literally dozens of species of Artimisia, including several common herbs you might not have realized are related. Check out some of the most common.