DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Perhaps another visit this week would be in order. Must start earlier though so you'll have time for a cigar. The Prohibition Room boast the largest collection of scotch in OKC.

I've got company for about 6 days starting on Monday. So perhaps Sunday night? Either sound good to me, but I want to give that piano man at Maker's more money.

Ron, have you ever had the 15y?

I haven't. But to be honest, the 18 was still a bit harsh for my taste. Having said that, I have to let you know I'm not a massive scotch fan anyway, so it may have been my girly palate. I did, obviously, enjoy the 30. Very smooth.

At least some of those were of legal age...

Last night we got all scientific at the studio and compared sugared vs. nonsugared Lucid, Kübler and Duplais.

It was a bit of an introduction to some, and everything went pretty well, until one character took a swig of my Duplais...neat...without me looking. :thumbdown:

I did see his reaction though, and from the look on his face I think he learned his lesson.

Next week I'll be sure to make it clear to everyone not to repeat that little experiment.

Haha. I put a teeny tiny splash of Duplais in a glass for smelling purposes to a newbie, and he asked if he could drink it. I warned him, but I said yes. I'm evil like that. I wanted to see the look.

That reminds me that I'm out of Duplais. DUNY here I come!

I'm almost out...now since that jackass had a glass in a gulp. Not really, but I am going through my last bottle, and DUNY has some interesting new offers...

Then I shall be thankful for my friends to the North. :cheers:

I am thankful for all of my friends on this forum. Coincidentally, today, in addition to being Thanksgiving Day here, is also my one year anniversary on WS. I will louche up a couple throughout the day and raise my glass in a heartfelt toast to all of you. Cheers! :cheers:

2009 Sierra nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale.

Thinking about a Bell's Hopslam .. but I have a 5 mile run in the morning and I might need to drink some water. Hmm...

I'm sipping something green, thick and extremely herbal. It has an aroma of something healthy.

Spooky stuff. Maybe a bit more water would make it more.........better. Cheers!

Workin' out the Leopold's again tonight. This time Mephisto; Bluecoat, Boissiere ED, Noilly Sweet, Leo's #15, Black Bottle 10 Yr Islay, Simple Syrup, Fee Bros. Orange, Twist.

Right now, I'm feeling sorry for any Martini or Mephisto fan that's not tasting this! :cheers:

Having something green and old. Something forgotten from the back of a box of samples. It's awesome, and now it's gone. :)

I stumbled on to this site last night. It was really interesting to me not really very edumacated on the history of whiskey.

http://www.ellenjaye.com/

I'd love to hear your take on the history of whiskey and the different styles and old makers Todd.

That's a great, great site. You'd be hard pressed to find better info. on those old US distilleries anywhere. Super nice people, too.

Well, the Maryland Style Rye, from speaking with some of the amateur (and some pros) US whiskey historians, has a much fruitier profile than the Pennsylvania style Ryes, which apparently tend to be drier and spicier.

One guy sent me an old blender's manual from the late 1800's, and to my surprise, I found that it was quite common to add cassis juice to Rye, and peach juice to Bourbon, to make specific vattings. The cassis would certainly explain the fruity flavors of the Maryland Rye, together with an ester producing yeast strain. Open fermentation, no cooling, and pot distilled (real pot, no plates), and barreled at below proof.

The Rye that I'm currently barreling is in that style. I use multiple yeast strains that lend the distiller's beer a weird combination of lavender and lilac aroma, together with a Fruit Stripe gum flavor. It's been fun putting it together.

Sipped a little verte and now I'm trying a rouge. That ought to do me for this evening. Thought about sipping some pre-ban but heck, who doesn't. *smiley wink*

To a fine fall evening, Cheers!

This is getting to be work. I had to remove almost the entire contents stored in my corner cabinet to find what I was looking for. So, add BdF. Been a long time since I touched any blanches. So 2 in 1 night is good.