DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

The only Spanish that's worth a crap is Segarra. It's not Absinthe.

On the other hand, I have an aging bottle of Eddie that I am unable to finish.

I have to blame that on some of the good stuff been sampled my way by people that are much too generous for their own good.

I thank them all.

Too bad some of the CO producers can't follow the lead.

To each . . .

Of the roughly 25 commercial absinthes I've tried, I will probably buy one third of them again (when I run out). I've only had the Jade N.O. to date and rank it quite high. The VdF was "different", as Hiram stated in his review and although it is more intense (and "sweet") than I prefer, it is also on the repeat list. From the Spanish universe, I've only had the Segarra 68, so any comparison there is pretty meaningless. The top of my list is packed with Swiss products (CLB and their ilk) and, more recently, German (Eichelberger) and a couple of French offerings (including the oft ridiculed FG).

So much for my taste. ;)

If my reading of this forum provides any insight, it is that with new releases, there is usually a flurry of attention, often praiseworthy to a fault. Then the naysayers chime in and more considered reflection is applied. Enthusiasm is tempered and even recanted. Sides are taken, but sometimes nostalgia kicks in and all is forgiven. Until the next release hits the streets.

Accounting sounds too much like work or a vocation.

Absinthe as avocation. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Actually it was last night, had a interview for a different job, same company and was a bit wound. Started with a helfrich then a brut de alambic, another helfrich, another brut, a montmarte, then a NO.

No dinner.

Woke up this morning feeling great, absinthe has this effect on me, that much of any other alchohol I'd been suffering, but with absinthe I just want to do it again !

:cheers:

Coronado Yellowtail

Firehouse

Jaeger

Sambucca(sp)

Shots of whatever round was ordered

Maker's Mark

Boy, being away from home right now...I'm sure jonesin' for some absinthe. Ugh.

Hiram your right

No politics, please.

I think it should be understood that those reviews are a little old. People's opinions change with time given the exposure to more refined offerings. Not wanting to put words in his mouth, but I'm sure Hiram would not speak quite so highly of the VdF had it just arrived on the scene.

Since the flying monkeys from LdF arrived this week (a mere five days including the weekend!) and brought my bottles of Edouard and VdF, I'll be doing some sampling tonight, methinks...

My Edouard stock was running low, so I was pushing it to the side - I'm not sure what I'd do without some on hand. But now that I've replenished, tonight Edouard and I shall reacquaint.

I bought the bottle of VdF specifically to take on my Vegas trip coming up soon. The old Navy buddy that I'm rooming with there for the reunion is curious about absinthe so I figured I'd start him on something simple but solid (and on the cheaper end). I was thinking some FG at first, but I think he'll appreciate the VdF more as a first experience.

I still freak out about traveling with bottles, but I think if I take it as a carry-on wrapped in bubble-wrap or something it'll do the trick. And as a carry-on I can control how much it gets thrown and banged around.

Actually I find it to be somewhat sweet.

Try a Rodenbach or a Grand Cru.

I would recommend either Rodenbach Alaxander (I doubt you can find it since it went out of production in 2000 or so when Palm took over) or Rodenbach Grand Cru.

However to recommend Rodenbach OR a 'Grand Cru' is not a good idea when recommending a sour beer.

To wit, Grand Cru simply means the Breweries Specialty beer. There are many Grand Cru which are not sour beer (for instance Chimay Grand Cru, the beer, not the cheese).

Minor sticky point, but I feel the unwashed masses should not be lead astray.

Speaking of drinking, I havn't been lately.

I'm on a self imposed change in diet which includes cutting back on alcohol. I hit over 200# last month and have decided I need to drop about 15-20% of my body weight.

I quit drinking on weekday nights, and changed my lunch to home made soups instead of loading up a tuppeware container with left overs after dinner each night for the next days lunch. Two suppers a day is too much.

TGIF!

Tonight I'm going to start with a glass of absinthe, and put a Prok Butt (proper mis-spelling of Pork) on the smoker.

I may or may not mow some grass depending on the weather.

I've got a sample of an IPA (in a 2L PET bottle) I just racked to secondary in the refrigerator carbonating so I'll move on to that later (hopefully).

Is it 5pm yet?

The only Spanish that's worth a crap is Segarra. It's not Absinthe.

Only the Segarra 45 is drinkable, it's alone in it's category. (It might be better called a rural Absenta)

The rest of the modern Spanish stuff is nothing more than poorly enhanced mixed pastis replicas.

Anyone that thinks the current Spanish stuff represents what a proper absinthe is, would drink their own bathwater.

Not wanting to put words in his mouth, but I'm sure Hiram would not speak quite so highly of the VdF had it just arrived on the scene.

True dat.

However, the review was true at the time. My perspective may have changed, but the absinthe is probably pretty much the same. Many people still enjoy the VdF even after having had some of the high end stuff.

I bought the bottle of VdF specifically to take on my Vegas trip coming up soon.  The old Navy buddy that I'm rooming with there for the reunion is curious about absinthe so I figured I'd start him on something simple but solid (and on the cheaper end).  I was thinking some FG at first, but I think he'll appreciate the VdF more as a first experience.

I still freak out about traveling with bottles, but I think if I take it as a carry-on wrapped in bubble-wrap or something it'll do the trick.  And as a carry-on I can control how much it gets thrown and banged around.

May want to read this;

http://www.iata.org/NR/ContentConnector/CS...English2005.pdf

Alcohol limit is 70%, I believe that VDF is higher than that. If caught it is $$$$$$$

Not to scare you but keep you from the poor house or club fed;

http://dgtraining.com/Enforcement/airportcheckpoints.htm

Otherwise :cheers:

Not at all - I appreciate the info.

So how do you guys travel with your absinthe? Or do you?

Hmm...I wonder if the hotel would accept a package mailed to myself there. I may have to check into that.

Right. I'm talking if I was to arrange for them to accept it even if I haven't checked in yet (doing Memorial Day weekend +1) so that it doesn't have to be as much of a crap shoot in receiving it (pun intended).

I'll probably call later today.

1 herd of elk

1 herd of buffalo

45 deer

1 suicidal prairie dog

1 eagle

856 antelope (yes, we really counted)

Covered all of MT, WY (yelled hello to WhyteKnight) and NE in two days. :wacko:

We have finally landed in Lincoln and now we are enjoying Ike with The Oldest son.

Tomorrow we are looking forward to sharing a beverage with Guillaume Lanfray and a Green Graduation Party. :cheers:

She speakes the truth, every word.

20 plus hours of driving. Nebraska is a different world from Montana. It is good to be here.

Joe

The blanche I'm drinking tonight is better than it was the other night.

Prolly since I'm sober this time.

I started the evening with a small glass of some beer that was not marked in the beer refrigerator (carbonator bottle). I think it might be an IPA but was pretty nondescript. I dry hopped the remainder of the IPA with an ounce of Fuggle last Wednesday night).

Mowed the grass (2/3 of the lawn), fired up the smoker, and made dinner.

I had a large glass of FOU while preparing tacos for dinner.

The smoker is going well with a 5# Prok Butt which was soaked in sugar, Molasses, Morton Tender Quick and cayanne pepper. I'm using Kingsford and Appe Wood.

So, after getting everyting going well I've settled down to a glass of Delerium Tremens clone (9%abv), or two. Well, ok. It is a 22 oz mug, but I only topped it off once.

For being less than a month and a half old (April 4th brew day) it is a pretty good beer for being so big.

Maggie, did you juice the prarie dog before you drank it?

I can see how someone who has only had and has thoroughly enjoyed Spanish absinthes -- which are typically heavy-handed on the anise, dosed liberally with star anise, and pre-sweetened -- not caring much for more balanced fare, which would seem dry and thin by comparison.

The more balanced absinthes allow the sipper to enjoy a wide range of herbal flavors, rather than being overwhelmed by one-dimensional anisey sweetness. Let's face it, complex flavor profiles aren't for everyone!

If your taste runs to the thick and sweet, I imagine ouzo or arak (or even sambuca!) would be less expensive by far than the Spanish absinthes, especially when we consider the lack of shipping charges!

If you care to thicken your VdF, maggie might know where you can get some antelope squeezin's.

The IPA sounds wonderful. I picked up some Bitch Creek ESB somewhere in east WY yesterday. The very nice clerk in the liquor store warned me, "That's NASTY. It is really bitter."

It was delicious.

WY (yelled hello to WhyteKnight)

How was the whirlwind tour? Which part did you pass through, anyhow?

You'll have to excuse some of our clerks. They are friendly though.

Maggie, did you juice the prairie dog before you drank it?

If you care to thicken your VdF, maggie might know where you can get some antelope squeezin's.

The prairie dog escaped. This time.

Yes, I know where the antelope roam. (That is so sad.)

WY (yelled hello to WhyteKnight)

How was the whirlwind tour? Which part did you pass through, anyhow?

You'll have to excuse some of our clerks. They are friendly though.

We dropped down from Billings.

Sheridan through Cheyenne then east.

We talked of you often.

The clerk was wonderful. She was trying to spare me from certain disappointment.

Ike Blanche this evening. It seems to have lost a lot of the industrial fragrance I had mentioned the first time I had it. This has been a sober week until this evening. It helped the Ike or I am just in a different state of mind.

We dropped down from Billings.

Sheridan through Cheyenne then east.

We talked of you often.

East of here. I rather like Sheridan but its a looong drive from there to Cheyenne.

Been drinking cognac this eve, plus a little beer, before! Gonna have some François Guy here in a bit to polish off the night. It's 10.55 p.m. here central time. The Only Time!! Check Y'All later!

Been spending the day trying to figure out how to accomplish several effect shots needed for a shoot on Sunday. It's been pretty exhausting...a good night to have a few drinks I'd say.

Started the evening with Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, then Aventinus, and now I've switched to absinthe...VdF to start, and shortly I'll figure out where to go next...

Edit: Continuing on with CLB...Man, that's a beautiful drink! Surprises me everytime somehow.