DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Last night was a bottle of Echt Kriekenbier, sour Flanders ale w/ cherries. I almost loved this beer, I'm a big fan of sour beers in general and this had a nice tartness and pleasant level of fruit. Only disappointment was a slight metallic character that I thought I tasted up a couple of times. One of those crazy things where when I tried to pick it out it wasn't there, but I swear a couple of times I had this slight roof-of-the-mouth aluminum foil thing going on. Oh well, plenty enough fish in the sour beer sea that I don't feel the need to try it again.

Yes, I did pour it into a glass. There was a date on the bottle, and it was relatively recent (within the past 6 mos. or so), so relatively fresh for a beer that doesn't move in large volume. Might have just been me, I had the flu recently and I still don't think my taster is 100% back to normal. I will say that I had the Vichtenaar (the non-cherry version that is the base for the kriekenbier) some time ago and really enjoyed it, didn't notice any flaw.

Comfort food for dinner tonight, for us that means BLTs w/ avocado and tempeh fake-bacon (blasphemy!), yummy. And nothing goes better with comfort food than the comfort cocktail, a Hendrick's gin Bijou.

Started with a Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale .. then moved to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I want something big next ... and not sure what that will be, but I don't work till 5pm tomorrow (as crazy as that is for me), so I'm gonna go big. We'll see what I come up with.

Only disappointment was a slight metallic character that I thought I tasted up a couple of times. One of those crazy things where when I tried to pick it out it wasn't there, but I swear a couple of times I had this slight roof-of-the-mouth aluminum foil thing going on.

FWIW, there are two likely ways you can pick up a metallic tinge (there are others). The first is from yeast autolysis, where the yeast dies from any number of causes, and the yeast cells literally turn themselves inside out. If the aging beer sits on dead yeast cells, you get a taint. The second is from poor diatomaceous earth (DE), a filter medium that's made of fossilized diatoms. DE can have quite a bit of iron, and sometimes this leads to flavor taints in delicate beers.

Actually, a neat trick to tell if a beer has been filtered with DE is to put your finger into the foam and taste it. If it tastes like tin foil has been soaking in the foam, it's DE. Had an argument with one of my German professors in Munich about the viability of this trick, until he tried the trick with the same beer before and after DE filtration. He still smiled and told me that American still can't make good beer. Funny stuff.

Oh, and that's what she said, if you were paying attention.

Again, more than you probably want to know.

...He still smiled and told me that American still can't make good beer. Funny stuff.

Oh, and that's what she said, if you were paying attention.

:laf: x2

I'd ask you to post more often, Todd, but I don't want to take you away from your work/play!

The girlfriend (err, ex..) broke up with me today. She lives in CA and I'm in the Army in NC and she couldn't take the distance any longer. Sigh.. I'm so ready to be done.

A fresh bottle of Pliny the Elder Double IPA for me tonight, which oddly is from right where she grew up in Santa Rosa, CA.

edit: fml.

Odie, sorry to hear it buddy. Especially since she was an amazing chef. The good news is that she flaked now rather than later, so take small comfort in that. You'll be out soon enough anyway, and now you'll be available when that happens. Double good. You'll also have the magazine full time when you're out, so maybe better that there's no distractions for a while.

I second Ron's sentiments odiedog :pirate: , when are you once again a free man (as far as the army goes)? Anyhow, you're right where you are supposed to be for now.

So far tonight I'm drinking Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale.

A drink of my own devising, genever + apple cider. I'm calling it a Dutch Apple and boy is it good. Anchor Genevieve has a dominating flavor profile so I've been trying a lot of combinations-- this is one of my favorites.

Sounds delicious.

I have very fond memories of genever (and various genever concoctions) from my visits to Amsterdam in the late 60s and early seventies.

Second night in a row getting to know MoL. Y'all might be a cantankerous and over-edumacated bunch of drunks, but you definitely have exquisite taste in hooch yowza, this is tasty! :cheers:

over-edumacated

Shoot, I can't count my toes twice and get the same number! I'm just glad they're that far away from my face. Cheers!

yowza, this is tasty! :cheers:

Damn straight it is!

Last night was a bottle of Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Stout. Holy hell, that was good! I thought the addition of cayenne would be a little odd, but it worked great! It didn’t really burn on the palate, but it made my inner ears a little tingly. Maybe an ear, nose and throat doctor could explain why certain peppers do that to me.

I can only imagine what the espresso variety would taste like.